Punta Cana is situated on the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic and is known for its 32 kilometers of beaches. However, there are many other fun and interesting activities to add to your vacation checklist. Here is a lowdown of some of the best things to do in this colorful city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Originally developed as a town for resort workers, the town of Bávaro has become a destination for tourists and locals alike for its 10 kilometers of unspoiled seashore. While it can be crowded, Bávaro beach is definitely worth a visit due to the large variety of amenities located on or near the sands, and its close proximity to Punta Cana itself. (If you’re not staying in Bávaro itself, you likely won’t be too far away.) When you’re not frolicking in the waves or stretching out on the sand, head over to one of the nearby bars and enjoy a drink in the shade.
Located just off the coast of Punta Cana, Isla Saona is famous for its incredibly untouched beaches. If Bávaro is too touristy, this is the place to go. The entire island is a government-protected nature reserve, so there isn’t an imposing high-rise or kitschy gift shop in site, only pure white-sand beaches and swaying palm trees. Getting to Isla Saona for the day is not difficult. In fact, many resorts offer their guests tour packages that include a ferry and a meal to take along.
HorsePlay Tours Punta Cana
Tours are sometimes the best way to see a lot of a place and culture in a short amount of time. Luckily, HorsePlay Tours offer visitors to Punta Cana the content of several different tours all conveniently packaged into one. In one day, participants will receive a cultural tour of local villages and learn about Dominican customs, history and traditions, go zip lining, horseback riding, sample locally produced coffee and chocolate, and finally, sit down to an authentic Dominican meal.
Hispaniola Aquatic Adventures
In order to experience some of the best snorkeling in Punta Cana, considering checking out a catamaran tour that takes participants directly to each famous dive site. Hispaniola Aquatic Tours offers private and semi-private four-hour excursions on one of their three catamarans that include drinks, a meal, transport to and from your hotel, snorkeling equipment and professional photos to document the experience.
Perhaps the best way to experience the beauty of Punta Cana is to explore its natural landscapes. One of the most spectacular places to explore is the Hoyo Azul (Blue Hole), which is a natural sinkhole filled with crystal-clear water. Two different tours, each lead by experienced guides, are the best ways to see it. Hoyo Azul Cave Explorer take participants on a hike through the Dominican wilderness, which ends with a relaxing dip in the Hoyo Azul waters, while Hoyo Azul Zip Line sends participants on a series of adrenaline-fuelled flights over the Cap Cana forest before ending with a swim in Hoyo Azul.
Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park
For an opportunity to explore an untouched portion of the Dominican Republic, head over to Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park, a private protected nature reserve maintained by the PUNTACANA Ecological Foundation. The park is open from dawn until dusk for guests staying at the nearby PUNTACANA Resort and Club, as well as other members of the PUNTACANA community. Activities include cultural exhibits, a petting zoo, a sugarcane exhibit, five different swimming holes and an iguana habitat. Several ‘Ecological Excursions,’ such as a Segway Eco Tour and Horseback Trail Ride, are also available upon reservation.
Canopy Adventures Zip Line Tours
For those who desire an adrenaline rush during their Caribbean vacation, look no further than Canopy Adventures Zip Line Tours. Taking place in the forest surrounding Punta Cana, the company’s half-day tours give participants an exhilarating thrill ride, while allowing them to take in the spectacular Dominican countryside from a completely unique angle. The ‘Canopy Adventure Tour’ sends participants flying from tree-to-tree on a zip line course that extends 4,300 feet. Canopy Adventure’s ‘Extreme Swing Adventure’ offers more variety. The zip-lines are longer, so you can play through the air, pulling a Superman position at over 40 miles per hour!
ChocoMuseo Punta Cana
With multiple locations all over the Caribbean and South America, ChocoMuseo seeks to educate tourists about the process of chocolate making in areas of the world where the sweet stuff is produced. In Punta Cana, ChocoMuseo is located on the same spot as Don Lucas’ Cigar Factory, in Bávaro. Activities include an exhibit on the history of chocolate making, a visit of the museum’s ‘bean to bar’ factory, samples of various chocolate products, a gift shop, and the opportunity to attend a chocolate making workshop. It’s all very hard work!
Enjoying the full force of Hispanola’s windward Atlantic side, just across from the iconic surfing stretches on Puerto Rico, means that Punta Cana boasts some top-notch rollers, suited to a whole host of different surfing levels. Perhaps the most acclaimed surf school in the region is the Macao Surf Camp, which offers everything from beginner introduction lessons to straight-up board rental for the experts.
A fully-fledged events and nightlife arena that’s like nowhere else on the island, Coco Bongo hosts up to 12 shows per night in the high season, ranging from dancing aerobatics to high-octane electro to world-class DJs and more. The famous club may have cut its teeth across the Caribbean in Cancun but this edition in Punta Cana boasts some of the headiest parties in the region. Expect oodles of cocktails to flow and dance floors to erupt at this one!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.