Thanks to strong African and Spanish influences, a tropical climate and abundant seafood from the ocean surrounding the island, Cuban cuisine is rich in flavour and spice. And when it comes to the sweet stuff, there is plenty to satisfy.
Sugar cane is one of the biggest crops in Cuba, so it’s no surprise that locals are are well versed in sweet treats. From pastries, to creamy flan and decadent rum-soaked cakes, there is a wide variety of desserts to try and many that you’re sure to fall in love with. Here’s our pick of the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Plantains are an incredibly common fruit in Cuba. They are highly nutritious and shaped like a banana, with a similar taste, although not as sweet. Plantain can be sliced, fried and eaten with rice and beans or other meals as a side dish, the most common of which is known as tostones. They lend themselves to be used in sweet or savoury recipes. Although plátanos maduros (sweet fried plantains) are mostly a side dish and are not considered a dessert, they are sweet and absolutely delicious. Plantains can also be baked into a sweet casserole-like dessert, with sugar, pecan nuts and raisins. For a quick and easy recipe, head to Smart Little Cookie.
Flan is a popular dessert across Latin America, and in Cuba, it has a special place on the dessert table. Served in restaurants and at home, flan is a type of baked custard made from simple ingredients, magically transformed into a light and delicate dessert, with a thin syrup. It’s made with a touch of cinnamon, or sometimes features different flavours such as chocolate, coconut or citrus. Make your own at home with this recipe.
‘Pastelitos de guyaba’
These Cuban pastries are commonly eaten at breakfast and are completely irresistible. They are little puffs of flaky pastry, filled with a guava paste, celebrating the beautiful guavas of Cuba. They can have different fruit fillings, but guava is by far the most popular, with the optional addition of cream cheese for depth of flavour. Pastelitos will have you dreaming of Cuba and luckily, they are easy enough to make at home.
Natilla is a set vanilla custard that many Cubans will remember from their childhood. It’s decadent and a celebration of vanilla and cinnamon. Some serve it topped with little meringues – another popular local sweet treat – which add a crunchy, chewy texture to the creamy dessert.
‘Dulce de leche cortada’
Dulce de leche cortada is a traditional dessert made from curdled milk that has a delicious sweet caramel taste. It’s not to be confused with the dulce de leche found all over South America which is a smooth and thick caramel. This is a slow-cooked dessert but it’s worth the wait. Get the recipe here.
‘Cake de ron’
This delicious cake celebrates Cuban rum and is an old-school favourite. Usually baked in a bundt tin, the sponge is light and moist, made with a syrup of banana liquor and rum for a boozy and flavourful cake that is difficult to stop eating. These cakes are eaten all year round but especially around the holidays. Try your own boozy version of this Cuban favourite here.
In Cuba, cappuccinos are not milky coffee drinks but little yellow cone-shaped cakes that are found in almost every bakery. The name is not based on the coffee, but is rumoured to be a nod to the hoods that Capuchin monks wear. You can also try making your own from the comfort of your kitchen.
Buñuelos are doughnuts or fritters made from cassava and malanga (taro), shaped in a figure of eight, or sometimes into balls or flat discs. They’re deep-fried and then drizzled with a special syrup made with anise before eating. They can be eaten hot or cold and are predominantly served at Christmas time. Try this recipe from Sweet Paul for a taste of these bite-sized treats.
‘Arroz con leche’
Rice pudding is a popular comfort food in Cuba. Made with rice, milk, cinnamon and sometimes raisins, this dessert is an example of simple ingredients made with care, usually by a grandmother or maternal figure, into something delicious, sweet and loved by all. Make your own with this recipe.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.