Visiting Cuba is a completely unique experience, and you are likely to want to bring home some souvenirs that reflect that. From Cuban cigars to retro books, here are the top places to buy souvenirs in Havana.
There’s a reason US President John F Kennedy bought 1,200 Cuban cigars just hours before signing the US trade embargo. No one makes cigars like Cuba.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To ensure you buy the best quality cigars, you need to go to an authentic cigar shop. Casa del Habano is a chain of stores with authentic cigars. Hotels such as Hotel Nacional, Habana Libre, Cohiba and Melia Habana also have official stores in their lobbies. Another option is to visit a cigar factory such as Casa del Habano, Partagas, or Tabacuba.
For Americans, cigar shopping in Cuba is filled with new possibilities. In the past, Americans could only bring home $100 worth of rum and cigars. Now those sanctions are lifted, and Americans are free to shop for the highest-quality cigars. It’s the perfect gift to bring home from your trip.
The secondhand book market is full of unique souvenirs that represent Cuban history. The plaza is filled with rows of booksellers, selling their favorite used books. You’ll see books about Che Guevara and the Cuban Revolution. You’ll also find books by Ernest Hemingway, who lived in Cuba for nearly 20 years. Along with books, you can will also find stacks of retro posters, stamps, and old beer labels, any of which would be a great conversation piece back home. The market runs every day except for Sunday, and reflects the love of reading that Cuba is famous for. According to the UN, Cuba has the highest literacy rate in the world.
Cuba is also known for its rum, and it’s a great souvenir to bring home as a gift or to share among friends. Like cigars, Americans now have more options when it comes to bringing rum home as a souvenir. With the sanctions lifted, Americans can now bring more than $100 worth of rum and cigars through customs.
There are many suitable places to buy rum. You can buy it at the Havana Club factory, where you can also take a tour of how they make their rum, or in a souvenir shop. One of the best places to buy rum, however, is at the airport in Havana, which has a large selection of rums at competitive prices. Buying it at the airport allows you to bring it on the plane with you, so you don’t have to risk it breaking in your luggage.
Cuban coffee is known around the world for its sweet, rich taste. Cuban coffee beans make a great gift, and are a simple way to share a piece of your trip with friends back home. They are also a much more cost-effective souvenir than rum. Cubita and Serrano are two brands known for their distinct Cuban taste. You can find them at food stores, at the airport, and at souvenir shops.
Paseo del Prado (or Paseo de Martí) is a large walking path that connects Parque Central to El Malecon, the avenue that runs along the bay. The street is lined with vendors selling art, crafts, and food. Many young artists live in apartments lining the promenade. On the weekends, you’re likely to hear live music and people meeting up for their weekly knitting and sewing clubs. They will often sell their products to tourists passing by. It’s a great place to buy a souvenir, an walking the promenade is a beautiful way to spend an afternoon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.