Just south of Miami in the Caribbean, the Cayman Islands offers luxury and escapism in a tranquil island paradise. But the islands are best enjoyed like a local, where you can go off the beaten track to enjoy regional dishes, quiet coves and community festivals. Here’s how to get started.
Tuck into Sunday brunch on any island
The Cayman Islands has a long-standing tradition of Sunday brunch, where locals become social butterflies. Seven, at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, delivers an elegant buffet of fresh sushi, grilled steak and upscale twists on breakfast favorites with bottomless glasses of Veuve Cliquot. Or head to Cayman Brac, where the casual-chic Lemon Bar & Restaurant serves farm-to-table fresh dishes. In Little Cayman, folks gather at Pirates Point Resort for local scratch kitchen favorites – and Camana Bay’s Jessie’s Juice Bar in Grand Cayman is popular with the health-conscious crowd for its delicious and inventive vegan recipes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Party at Mardi Gras on Little Cayman
Small but mighty, Little Cayman puts on an impressive Mardi Gras float parade and masquerade after-party with dinner and dancing. Traditionally held the last Saturday before Ash Wednesday, the parade sees the community band together to make colorful and humorous floats and costumes to win the coveted first place for the year’s unique theme. Locals come from all over the Cayman Islands to join the fun and celebrate with the Mardi Gras King and Queen. Dance along with the lighthearted float parade while talented musicians play Caymanian calypso tunes.
Enjoy a taste of the islands at a food festival
The highlight of the Caribbean’s culinary calendar, Cayman Cookout, hosted by Eric Ripert at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, celebrates five epic days of mouthwatering pleasure; guests will find themselves elbow-to-elbow with the world’s most illustrious chefs and master mixologists. Barefoot elegance is the vibe at unforgettable epicurean experiences, interactive demonstrations and the famous Barefoot BBQ where José Andrés and Emeril Lagasse are your grill masters. Another annual culinary treasure is Taste of Cayman at Camana Bay. Thirty years strong, it celebrates the local culinary cultural scene, focusing on diversity and Caymanian flavor.
Relax at a secluded beach
Discovering a stunning beach that you can enjoy all by yourself is the ultimate island escape. On Grand Cayman, head to Cayman Kai, one of the Caribbean’s most beautiful beaches. Feel the white coral sand squish between your toes, and wade out into clear shallow water, which is perfect for snorkeling. For total seclusion, Owen Island is your best bet. A short 20-minute kayak or paddle from Little Cayman, it’s a place where you can just enjoy the pristine water and blue sky for company. Picnic and relax on its soft sandy shore as you bask in nature and sweet solitude.
Watch the sunset on Seven Mile Beach
This multiple-award-winning beach delights visitors all year long with azure water, soft sand and spectacular sunsets. Stroll barefoot along the shoreline as the glowing red sun lights up the sky. Relax at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman’s beachside Bar Jack for the perfect view and the bar’s famously creamy piña colada. Or join the hotel’s sunset paddle for epic sunset views over calm turquoise water. After sundown, linger a moment longer as the stars pop in the night sky and the moon rises over the horizon.
Sip cocktails and chill at a yacht club on Grand Cayman
Walking distance from Rum Point, the Kaibo Yacht Club delights guests with chic dining. At the beach bar you can indulge in an extensive rare-rum menu or soak in the sun on a lounger as lively tunes provide the perfect background music. For fine dining, head to the club’s restaurant upstairs for unique Caribbean flavors including a six-course surf-and-turf menu created by Michelin-star chef Kyle Jenkins.
Visit the Cayman Islands to relax and enjoy all that this unexpected gem has to offer. Find out more.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.