With award-winning restaurants and a barefoot island vibe, it’s easy to see why the Cayman Islands is the self-proclaimed Culinary Capital of the Caribbean. Ocean-to-table cuisine and a commitment to sustainability, Grand Cayman, and its sister islands, delight guests with everything from fine dining and food festivals to local joints. Here are ten of the best food experiences in the Cayman Islands for the culinary traveler.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Cayman Cookout
Five days of haute cuisine on a white sand beach on Grand Cayman’s famed Seven Mile Beach is the calling card of the annual Cayman Cookout. Attracting world-renowned chefs, mixologists, and culinary celebrities such as Eric Ripert and José Andrés, its relaxed Caribbean casual vibe welcomes guests year after year. Bespoke lunches, dinners, demonstrations, and cooking classes delight the senses and make memories.
The Beach House at the Westin Grand Cayman
This award-winning restaurant earned both the AAA 4 Diamond Award and Wine Spectator’s 2016 Award of Excellence. With stunning views of Seven Mile Beach, the Beach House is known for its refined wine list featuring boutique producers. Foodies will be equally impressed with its five-course tasting menu showcasing unique fish dishes like tandoori Caribbean snapper and cured wahoo carpaccio.
Slow Food Day in Grand Cayman
Everyone is invited to slow down and enjoy the culinary delights of the Slow Food Moment celebrating traditional recipes and local ingredients. Held in April at Camana Bay, local chefs work with island farmers and dish out free samples of delicious local cuisine. Bring the kids to learn how to make fun nutritious meals with local ingredients. Slow Food Day attracts the likes of three Michelin-star Chef Clare Smyth who teams up with local restaurants to serve up slow food delights.
The Lobster Pot
The sunset isn’t on the menu but it’s a favorite at The Lobster Pot. A popular spot since 1965, this family-owned landmark restaurant has panoramic waterfront views from its over-the-water deck. Specialties include lobster Cayman-style, lobster mango salad, conch fritters, and marinated queen conch. For dessert, try the fluffy coconut pie. Just steps away from the restaurant is the dock where local fisherman unload their daily catch of red snapper, mahi mahi, and wahoo.
Morgan’s Seafood Restaurant
In the Cayman Islands Yacht Club, Morgan’s Seafood Restaurant is elegant yet casual with an open airy Caribbean vibe and view of Governor’s Creek. With an extensive ocean-to-table menu, its husband and wife team deliver the freshest seasonal fish caught daily by their own fishermen. Begin with a signature artisanal cocktail followed by ceviche, its famous jerk burger, and key lime pie.
Kaibo Beach Bar
When you’re in the Cayman Islands there’s a 50% chance you’re barefoot on the beach. Which is all good at Kaibo Beach Bar. Relax in the shade at their causal picnic-style tables and soak up the island vibe as music sets just the right mood. After you’ve cooled off with one of their famous mudslides, stay at the beach bar or head upstairs for a fine dining concept with casual elegance. There’s no dress code and it’s recommended to try their six-course tasting menu. Make sure to sample their extensive library collection of rare rum.
Star Island Restaurant
A locals’ favorite on Cayman Brac, its extensive menu of Caribbean specialties and Chinese fare is the perfect place to fuel up between diving and snorkeling. Guests love the “Caymankind” friendly service at Star Island and a chance to meet local characters. Try the brown fish stew, conch steak, jerk fish sandwich and the carrot juice made with rum, milk, and spices, or refresh with a glass of zingy ginger juice.
The Tipsy Turtle Pub
Recently renovated, a panoramic ocean view is just one of the highlights of this poolside bar at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort. An outstanding cocktail menu at the Tipsy Turtle Pub is another. Or be adventurous and ask your bartender to make a signature cocktail just for you. Try the pan-fried snapper stuffed with shrimp and crab or the jerk chicken sandwich, and check out the schedule for fun events like crab racing.
The Caribbean flair of this fun, colourful poolside restaurant shines through both in the décor and on the menu. Must-try dishes are its award-winning fish tacos with signature sauces, jerk chicken egg rolls, and Asian salad. Focusing on fresh local ingredients, the Sunshine Grill bakes its own bread every morning and is proud to support local growers.
A chic city vibe meets island time at Abacus, a farm-to-table Caribbean restaurant in Camana Bay. Boasting a lively lounge culture, its cocktail menu is seasonally inspired using local fruits. Dine indoors or on its patio in the shade surrounded by palm trees as you feast on a menu that focuses on sustainability and supporting local farmers. Try the marinated conch, roasted octopus, and the sashimi of the moment.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.