Being in the Atlantic Ocean as much as it is within the Caribbean, Barbados is a seafood lover’s dream. Excellent fishing waters ensure fresh fish of tremendous variety is always available everywhere from street vendors to top end restaurants. Sporty types can book one of the sport fishing charters and catch their own dinner. Culture Trip heads to the island’s capital Bridgetown to explore the best seafood experiences.
Bridgetown Fish Market
Situated on the edge of Bridgetown, the Bridgetown fisheries complex contains a market that sells freshly caught fish every day. The complex includes washing and icing facilities, meaning that the stores can sell catch almost directly from the boat. The market is seasonal, so availability depends on the time of year, but tuna, flying fish and swordfish are usually available. This is where many of the restaurants and hotels buy their fish, so it is possible to view the ‘catch of the day’ even if not preparing it yourself.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If buying fresh fish is too tame an experience, then Barbados has plenty of options for fishermen of all standards. The warm waters off the coast provide plenty of marlin, tuna, swordfish and barracuda. There are boats available to charter, or join an organised trip. High Seas Fishing situated on the careenage in Bridgetown are highly recommended and happy to offer tailor-made packages for all standards (winter months offer the best fishing). Want something less taxing? Then spin fishing is available from a number of beaches – locals can often be seen at sunrise casting a line.
Prefer to just enjoy the finished product? There are plenty of casual seafood dining options in Bridgetown – everybody eats fish here. It is estimated that the fishing industry provides employment to at least 6000 people in Barbados. With that many locals dependent upon the business, standards are always high. Boatyard is a beach bar that holds a Friday fish fry for approximately 15USD caters mainly for the cruise ship crowd and can get quite busy. Cuz’s fish shack offer affordable street food from a van near the Radisson hotel. There’s often a queue, but the food is worth waiting for.
There are some great seafood restaurants in Bridgetown, from fine dining to more casual affairs. Champers, a short taxi ride along the coast from Bridgetown and open seven days a week, has a good varied menu – the parmesan-crusted barracuda is particularly good. More casual in style, but with outstanding seafood, is the Waterfront cafe on the careenge in Bridgetown. The fish of the day here is invariably good and changes with the seasons. Craving some lobster? Then head along Brownes Beach to Lobster Alive! for some of the best on the island, and the entertainment is pretty good too. The restaurant also has a great beachfront location.
Fishing is a way of life in Barbados and the seafood is second to none. Seafood lovers will love their time in Bridgetown.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.