You can’t beat Barbados for good weather and idyllic beaches. Here are some great ways to treat yourself to some interesting cultural and culinary experiences while soaking up the sun on this charming Caribbean island.
Eccentric millionaire and legendary horticulturalist Anthony Hunte has created his very own garden of Eden filled with tropical plant species. Spend an hour exploring this verdant rainforest and learn about Barbados’ flora and fauna from the man himself.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
St. Nicholas Abbey
This Jacobean-style distillery still produces some of the best rum on the island. Take a tour of the Grand House for an authentic picture of 18th-century plantation life and try some of the five, 10 and 12 year batches while exploring the gorgeous grounds.
Admire the rugged Northern coastline at Little Bay and marvel at one of nature’s most beautiful feats. Naturally occurring holes in the coral create huge spouts of seawater, reminding locals of whales coming to the surface and earning them the nickname ‘blowholes’.
Spa at Port Ferdinand
Stop by the Sandbox Tree Spa for a treatment overlooking a stunning tropical ravine. The luxury marina resort and residence is the perfect place to enjoy an afternoon cocktail and will soon be joined by Nikki Beach club.
Apes Hill Polo Club
Learn how to play polo with the team at Apes Hill and their adorable polo ponies. No matter if you’ve never ridden before, the horses are so well trained they practically play for you! More advanced riders can test their skills during a chukka (seven-minute round) or even play a full match.
Cherry Tree Hill
Drive to the top of Cherry Tree Hill for some of the best views on the island. The viewpoint, not far from St. Nicholas Abbey, looks over the rugged east coast where local surfers hang out and try to conquer the choppy Atlantic waters at Bathsheba.
Lone Star, Cin Cin and Atlantis Hotel
Rub shoulders with Bajan glitterati and enjoy some of the finest food in Barbados at glamorous beachside restaurants such as Lone Star, Cin Cin and Atlantis Hotel Restaurant. Great seafood and even better views combine for an unforgettable experience, especially during sunset. Be sure to try the mahi mahi and flying fish.
There are over 1,000 of these iconic chattel bars scattered across Barbados, where Bajans go to drink, smoke and play dominoes. John Moore is the oldest rum shop on the island and well worth a visit to experience a true picture of life in the Caribbean.
Catamaran cruise and turtles
Take to the turquoise waters and explore the idyllic coastline from your very own luxury catamaran. Snorkel through sunken shipwrecks and swim with turtles, manta rays and the occasional tarpon (which can grow to over two metres in length).
Sample some of the best local cuisine in Barbados and soak up the atmosphere around Oistins Bay. Treat yourself to grilled seafood from Pat’s Place, Uncle George’s or Legendary Hot Fish Cakes and watch the locals strut their stuff around the sound systems which spring up after dark.
Nidhe Israel Synagogue
Bridgetown is home to one of the oldest synagogues and mikvahs in the Western Hemisphere, restored in the 1980s and now joined by a museum dedicated to Caribbean Judaism. The pastel pink synagogue looks beautiful bathed in early evening sun and no visit to the island would be complete without seeing this cultural treasure.
For more information about Barbados head to visitbarbados.org. Culture Trip was a guest at Sandpiper Barbados hotel. Visits to Oistins Bay, Little Bay, St. Nicholas Abbey and Hunte’s Gardens were organised through Blu Isles tours.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.