Ho Chi Minh City’s weather can be unbearable sometimes, and a coffee to cool down just doesn’t cut it. Luckily for those with a sweet tooth, there are a bunch of dessert cafes scattered around the city for some cakes, pastries, ice cream or gelato. Here are our favourites!
Marou is a local Vietnamese artisan chocolate brand that has gained international fame recently for its pure chocolatey goodness. Its success has led it to set up its own gourmet dessert café in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City, Maison Marou. At this mini chocolate factory, you can order yourself all kinds of chocolate based products: pastries, cakes, cookies, and drinks. While you enjoy these, you can watch as the artisans expertly create chocolate magic behind glass windows. While each item on the menu is nothing short of amazing, the hot chocolate is the absolute must-try. Make sure to buy a few chocolate bars here as they make great souvenirs for loved ones back home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While Marou is all things chocolate, Ralf’s is all things gelato. This artisanal gelato café is run by German-born Ralf, who is without doubt a gelato expert. His impressive amount of knowledge shines through the recipes he has put a lot of thought and dedication into. There are a range of rotating flavours on the menu at 16 at a time – and these include rum raisin, stracciatella, amarena, Hoa Vien beer and basically anything his creative mind thinks will make an interesting scoop of gelato. There’s even a fish sauce gelato, but perhaps the Pho Bo gelato flavour will excite you more. Ralf is probably the first ever to come up with such a gelato. The kitchen here is where Ralf runs his scientific gelato experiments and really, it’s as clean as a science lab.At VND$50,000 per scoop, the decadent gelato here makes for a fine alternative to the coffee found in almost every other shop. The location is very central too – only steps from Ben Thanh Market, down a quiet alleyway where you can get away from the sounds and heat of Ho Chi Minh City, and enjoy some cool gelato in peace. Ralf is also around most of the time, so feel free to ask him any questions and suggest flavours!
This café is run by Tristan Ngo, who also owns the popular fine-dining restaurants Skewers and The Elbow Room in Ho Chi Minh City. As a café should, this place has a rotating menu of fresh, delectable desserts, including cakes, pies, cookies, and brownies. How Café Sweet Street differentiates itself from others is that all cakes and brownies are made in the US. Not only that but the ingredients are GMO-free, fresh, and from local farms. The products are then flash-freezed and shipped to Vietnam in a cold chain transportation system, and by the time you take a bite, it tastes like it was freshly made – creamy and absolutely divine.
Finding this dessert café isn’t an easy task as there is very little signage. The entrance has barely any signage and after a steep stairway, you will walk into a giant room that is a mash-up of an antique shop and tea room. There is an overwhelming amount of desserts imaginable on display, and your senses will be on overdrive. The antiques and collectibles in the room are collected from all around the world, and everything in the room – the food, the plates, the furniture and the decor – has a price tag. Book Villa Royale for their High Tea — you will get many cakes and canapes paired with your teas of choice. The ambiance of the café is also wonderful for a quiet catch-up with friends in style. For a moment of your day, you will feel as though you’ve been transported to a parlour in Paris or a drawing room in London.
All ice cream made at Fanny are of the highest quality, with 100% natural ingredients, no additives, preservatives nor artificial flavours. The natural ingredients are imported from around the world — fresh cream milk from New Zealand, vanilla from Madagascar, chocolate from Belgium, green tea from Japan, and yoghurt from Greece. The fruits are, of course, locally sourced. You can get delicious breakfast crepes here, and even local noodle dishes, and others such as banh mi and dim sum. But go here for the dessert, as that makes them stand out. The chocolate fondue, their weasel coffee, smoothies, and milk shakes, are all popular and for good reason.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.