A freezing scoop of ice cream is the perfect solution to the sweltering heat of Saigon. From artisanal gelato to sensational shaved ice sundaes, this city has plenty of frozen treats to cool your cravings.
An ice cream parlour is the ideal place to take a break and put the fast pace of life in Ho Chi Minh City on ice. There’s nothing better than sitting back and watching the world go by with a sweet treat in hand. Whether you’re after simple, family-owned parlours or stylish franchises, you’re sure to find your perfect ice cream spot in Saigon.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Danish-owned Osterberg brings ice cream flavours from all over the world to Ho Chi Minh City’s Thao Dien neighbourhood. The intensely creamy gelato recipe never fails to satisfy but there’s also a wide range of dairy and sugar-free options for those with dietary requirements – although they’re so good you’d never guess the difference.
La Dolce Vita is unquestionably one of the best spots in the city for authentic Italian gelato. Owned by a Sicilian expat, La Dolce Vita’s ice cream is the stuff of legends. Their cà phê sữa đá gelato will delight fans of Vietnamese coffee, whilst their spicy chocolate flavour might just be the dessert you never knew you needed. These delectable creations can now be enjoyed at the popular Pendolasco restaurant, as well as the original Thao Dien parlour.
Ralf’s smooth, creamy gelato has become wildly popular in Ho Chi Minh City since the store’s opening in 2016. The parlour prides itself on its use of all-natural ingredients to produce sensational scoops from scratch, rather than relying on prefabricated products. Although the ice cream itself is authentically Italian, there are plenty of Vietnamese-inspired flavours on the menu, such as phở and fish sauce (trust us, it’s delicious). A visit to Ralf’s Artisan Gelato is a decadent treat you certainly won’t regret – or forget.
This family-owned ice cream parlour is beloved for its deliciously fruity flavours, which include soursop, coconut and longan. Each mouth-watering scoop is served with peanuts and contains a hidden longan berry, a surprise that delights first-time customers. Located in District 1, Kem Nhan Chu Tam is a popular hangout spot for students and possibly one of the city’s cheapest places for an ice cream fix.
The delightful appearance of Lickie Ice Dream’s frozen treats makes them doubly sweet. Their colourful ice cream pops come in various adorable shapes, such as paw prints, and are decorated with bows, hearts and butterflies. If you prefer soft-serve, opt for a homemade charcoal cone – as long as you don’t mind a temporary grey tinge to your teeth.
With parlours located all over the country, Fanny is one of Vietnam’s leading producers of ice cream. As well as luxurious, all-natural ice cream, Fanny offers a ‘special’ range that includes enormous fondue platters, incredible crepes and even a cyclo-shaped sundae. There’s a warm, family-friendly atmosphere inside each branch, although the Tran Hung Dao location is easily the best due to the generous ice cream buffet on the first Friday of every month.
Ice cream roses are a pretty dessert trend that has taken Instagram by storm. Roseice’s rainbow petals will certainly have you snapping away – just be sure to eat it before it melts. Located on Saigon’s popular walking street, Roseice is a small but adorable parlour that can usually be spotted by the line of Insta-happy ice cream fans queuing outside. There’s a wide range of multicoloured flavours you can combine to create a dessert that’s as tasty as it is beautiful.
This innovative dessert fusion parlour combines Korean patbingsu (a shaved ice dessert typically made with fruit, beans and condensed milk) with Western ice cream. These unique sundaes not only look spectacular, they taste sensational, too, thanks to a virtually endless list of flavours and toppings. Be sure to take a friend along, as these fantastic creations are too big – and too good – not to share.
If Fly Garden’s ice cream doesn’t make you fall in love, its lovely decor will. This boutique dessert cafe feels as though it belongs in a fairytale – the perfect spot for an ice cream break. The ultra friendly staff make you feel right at home and are always happy to let you try before you buy. The Fly Garden Bowl, a selection of ‘local’ flavours including coconut and jackfruit, is particularly tasty.
Sometimes, you just can’t beat good old Baskin-Robbins. Their insanely creamy formula is beloved all over the world and for good reason. Several branches of the popular chain have opened across the city in recent years, mostly in District 1. Their Brown Sugar Sweetness milkshake is to die for and their amazing ice cream cakes are a big hit on birthdays and other special occasions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.