With the perfect combination of cheap, readily available transportation and apps designed to simplify the ordering process, the online food delivery industry in Vietnam is changing how people eat. Here are the companies and methods leading the way.
While ordering food for delivery is nothing new, the process is now easier than ever. Long gone are the days of keeping a stack of menus in the drawer next to your phone. Today, companies such as Vietnammm, Eat.vn, Foody.vn and GrabFood take care of everything for you. They provide lists of restaurants, menus and then, after sending your order to the restaurant, they keep you updated on the progress of your delivery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Online food orders are expected to surpass offline methods by 2020 in Vietnam. Even today, in most major cities, you can get almost any kind of cuisine delivered to your door in under an hour, from Indian curries to a New Zealand steak – or maybe even a wonderful bowl of mì quảng. These delivery services are changing the tastes of local consumers. It’s now just as easy for a Vietnamese family to order KFC as it is for them to order from a local restaurant.
For people who are too busy to shop, there are now companies in Vietnam that will deliver your groceries right to your door. Suma.vn and Chopp.vn are two major players in this new industry, but there are several other notable names as well. Where there’s a need in Vietnam, there’s at least one entrepreneur with a keen eye for opportunity. You can even set up recurring orders nowadays, meaning these companies will delivery the items you expect to use week after week – things like noodles, herbs, meats and sauces.
If you don’t have time to cook – or if you don’t trust your own skills – there are services that will cook and deliver meals to you, either daily or once a week. Companies such as Smartmeal, Fitfood and Flavorbox will work with you to finely tune a meal plan that matches your dietary goals. They have options for people looking to lose weight, as well as protein-heavy meals for those looking to put on some muscle. They design their meals so as to include all the major food groups. There’s no shopping, cooking or worrying about what to eat.
The changing food landscape
Many will decry the loss of traditional communities, where families bought all their ingredients in nearby markets, but the ease of online ordering is undeniable. For the burgeoning middle-class in Vietnam, already stretched between family and work, these new services free up a lot of valuable time. By ordering dinner or groceries, they save hours every day. It will be interesting to see if there’s any societal backlash in the future, but for now, this industry is only going to get bigger and better, with more options and newer ways to save time.
As online food ordering continues to grow, so do concerns about the amount of plastic used. There are numerous groups trying to raise awareness about the harm being done by plastic in Vietnam, and it will be a challenge for restaurants and delivery companies to match their customers’ shifting expectations in terms of the waste generated through their services. Some have already responded these concerns. Certain restaurants now ask customers to request plastic utensils, rather than including them with every order. Companies that sell meal plans also have the option for customers to buy reusable containers, which the delivery drivers then pick up every day. But while these are steps in the right direction, there is still a long way to go.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.