Few Southeast Asian countries offer a range of luxury accommodation like Vietnam. Drawing on its rich history and colonial heritage, hoteliers have capitalised on the charm of places like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City and Vietnam’s natural beauty to raise the bar in high-end accommodation. Whether you’re looking for a secluded, azure-fringed tropical island or prefer a swanky boutique hotel, our recommendations have got you covered.
Nestled like a dormant dragon on a hilltop within the protected Nui Chua National Park, Amanoi’s villas stand tall above the deep blue waters of Vinh Hy Bay. These luxe residences have private living and dining pavilions (complete with infinity pools) hemmed in by expansive wooden decking and panoramic views of the bay. Enjoy spa treatments and yoga classes next to a peaceful lotus lake. Head downhill, and you’ll find a private white crescent of sand separating Amanoi’s earthly delights from the perfect underwater reef.
As the only five-star resort in the southwestern archipelago of Con Dao, there’s much to love about this secluded collection of 50 villas facing the sapphire sea. Each private residence is fashioned as though part of a traditional fishing village using sustainable materials such as reclaimed teak panels and sun-bleached bamboo. The wooden floor blends into outdoor decking where infinity pools glitter in front of the sea. Top it all off with superb organic dining at one of several beachfront restaurants; try Vietnamese by the Market, where Con Dao’s native chef No dishes up family recipes spanning zesty Pho Bo (beef soup noodles) and crispy, herb-infused Banh Xeo Tom (Vietnamese pancakes).
Dominating the skyline, this luxury hotel in Ho Chi Minh City’s District 1 is housed in the upper storeys of the iconic Times Square Building. The Reverie is a luxe, decadent fusion of European and Asian influences — picture a bedazzling collection of furnishings paying tribute to Italian design but arranged with feng shui in mind. This is also a popular fine dining spot: each of the five restaurants offers a taste of world cuisine, with an emphasis on Italian thin-crust pizza and authentic gelatos, plus a smattering of Chinese, Vietnamese and fusion plates. Don’t forget the spa – one of the city’s finest places to unwind.
Sitting on a bend of the gloriously named Perfume River, Azerai La Residence faces the Unesco-protected Hue’s Citadel. This luxury resort dominates a tropical garden with a 40m (130ft) saltwater pool. The eclectic rooms (some with balconies and river views) have classy colonial-era furnishings such as four-posters draped with silk curtains, dark wooden floors, and French tiles. Le Parfum, the hotel’s brasserie, boasts an opulent old-world hall where you can dig into the best of Vietnamese and European cuisine.
This dazzling white palatial hotel houses 23 rooms and is one of the best riverside residences in Ho Chi Minh City’s District 2. No room is alike in layout or size: the Writers’ Room, with a study table and garden views, is perfect for solo travellers, while couples should try the Villa Suite with its freestanding bathtub, romantic four-poster and large balcony overlooking the Saigon River. Villa Song’s specialty, however, is water. Start by soaking in the saltwater pool (the only one in town) and then have a go at city canoeing or a stand-up paddleboard – or join a river island exploration tour.
Yen Tu in the Dong Trieu mountain range, near the Unesco site of Ha Long Bay, is the birthplace of Zen Buddhism. Inspired by the journey of hermit monk An Ky Sinh to Yen Tu, the concept of this MGallery hotel is to give you a luxurious chance for self-discovery and spirituality. This is available in spades thanks to the serene mountain setting and wisely furnished rooms that blend minimalist Zen features with modern comforts — think plush mattresses, wooden partitions and freestanding bathtubs.
Feel the serenity of Hanoi’s Hoan Kiem Lake from the balcony of one of the Silk Path’s finest suites. Refined parquet floors lend a classy glow to colonial-inspired interiors, floor-to-ceiling windows and freestanding tubs. Silks bar is great for sundowners as you watch the sun dip into the lake right next to the floating Ngoc Son Temple.
Like a checkerboard of home comforts, this JM Marvel Hotel plays on the contrast of black and white. The reception has intricate wrought iron railings and retro tiles while rooms alternate yin and yang dark curtains and curly bed frames against white linens and minimalist white walls. Its location in the Hoan Kiem district of Hanoi is perfect to explore the Old Quarter on foot, and yet it’s quiet at night. To play it up a bit, the rooftop bar has great city views and chilled beers. The Mâm Cơm Việt (Vietnamese rice tray) restaurant has a cosy noir ambience and dishes up traditional Vietnamese home cuisine – which you can learn by taking a class.
Regal, contemporary rooms with warm wooden floors and marble-top furnishings make this intimate boutique hotel a perfect choice to forge romantic memories in Hanoi’s Old Quarter. The spa offers soothing treatments ranging from Vietnamese coconut scrub to Thai massage therapy. It’s the Soleil Sky Bar, however, with its 360-degree rooftop views over Hanoi’s pulsating heart, outdoor swimming pool and artisan cocktails that may end up hijacking your nights.
You’ll have a regal stay at this palatial property set around a large swimming pool and within walking distance of most of Hue’s best sights. The warm, pastel-coloured rooms (all with balconies and private living rooms) are a throwback to the city’s imperial past with a smattering of retro memorabilia from former French Indochina. Laze on a sofa as you read below a hanging lantern, or spark up the fireplace if it gets chilly — each room has one. For more stays in this Imperial City, book into one of the best hotels in Hue.
Looking for more? Book a stay at one of the best hotels in Vietnam, or, if you’re looking for something more eco-conscious, stay at one of these eco-friendly hotels near Ho Chi Minh City. Heading elsewhere? Hue has some excellent hotel options, plus they’re bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.