Steps from Hanoi’s Opera House in its famed French Quarter stands one of the most well-known historic hotels in Vietnam. Enter the classical white facade and take a brief (digital) walk through the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel that has housed international politicians, writers, and actors over the decades.
Charles Chaplin Suite
As you might assume, this suite is named after the legendary entertainer who stayed here during his honeymoon with new bride Paulette Goddard in 1936. Located on the third floor in the hotel’s Historical Wing, the Metropole describes this suite as a “romantic haven” and features original wooden floors, a large bathroom with a jacuzzi and stand-up shower, as well as a king-sized bed and luxurious amenities.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Other famous guests who stayed in this particular suite include former U.S. President Bill Clinton, Irish actor Colin Farrell, French actress Emmanuelle Béart, her majesty Maxima (Queen of the Netherlands), and Prime Minister of Norway Erna Solberg.
This opulent suite is the most prestigious in this historical hotel. It is located on the sixth floor of the Opera Wing and is a true history-meets-modernity suite as the latest technology intermingles with the room’s neo-classical decor. The Imperial Suite features a private spa room, a magnificent bathroom complete with a steam shower and French-style tub, a library, and luxurious lounge area. This room has hosted some of the biggest names in international politics and costs a cool $3,000.00 USD per night.
Guests at this elegant suite include former French president François Hollande, Russian president Vladimir Putin, former Secretary of State John Kerry, former Irish president Micheal D. Higgins, and the eighth Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki- Moon.
An American heroine
One of the most legendary guests of Hanoi’s Sofitel Metropole Hotel is Joan Baez, an American folk singer and activist. She was a guest of the hotel over Christmas in 1972 when the Americans began their ruthless 11-day bombing campaign under the name Operation Linebacker II. Baez and other guests were crammed into small, sweltering bomb shelters underneath the back courtyard where they remained throughout the duration of the raid. While the guests waited in fear, Baez played guitar and sang to keep their terror at bay. It was here that Baez partially recorded Where Are You Now, My Son; a song she wrote after watching a woman search for her son underneath the rubble of a destroyed building. The falling bombs can be heard in her original recording.
Baez received a warm welcome upon her return to the hotel in 2014. She presented the hotel staff with an oil painting of a young Vietnamese monk she had painted while staying in the Somerset Maughan Suite. It is displayed with pride near the reception desk. Baez has a special place in the heart of the hotel, revered for her anti-Vietnam War activism and hiding from bombs with the locals.
The Sofitel Metropole Hotel in Hanoi was founded in August 1901 by Andre Ducamp and Gustave-Emile Dumoutier. A rich history lies behind its white facade and shutter-adorned windows, and pieces of that history can be found displayed in the hotel lobby and throughout its designated “Path of History” where a series of photographs and relics are available for hotel guests to admire.
The hotel’s Path of History, is available for tours to hotel guests.
This legendary hotel has hosted plenty of Hollywood actors, writers, and big-name politicians over the last century. The colonial-style architectural marvel is available for anyone who wishes to experience its opulent rooms and suites, but make sure your wallet is loaded before you do.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.