For foreigners first stepping foot in Vietnam, navigating the nation’s sprawling urban centers can feel a bit daunting. Streets are often not well marked, and grid systems quickly devolve into patchworks of zig-zagging alleyways. To complicate matters worse, the language is by no means easy, and that street name you thought you had memorized is almost certainly not pronounced the way you thought it was. Cabs will make things easier, and luckily, they’re usually quite easy to take.
In Vietnam, motioning for someone to come toward you is a bit different than in the western world. As a rule of thumb, never beckon someone with one finger as you would in the States. Instead, you should use your whole hand. To motion for someone, point your arm out, and lay your hand flat with your palm down. Bend your fingers toward you as if you’re trying to grab something without using your thumb. Getting a cab should be quite similar; just raise your arm, flatten your hand, and bend your fingers toward you. If you just hold your arm up and out, that should work too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Motioning with one finger is reserved for dogs and small children, and a traveler who does so is seen as insulting or at the very least, shamefully uninformed.
Mai Linh and Vinasun
As soon as you step out of the airport, you’ll be hounded by cabs. Don’t take the first one you see; you’re more than likely getting ripped off. In fact, throughout Vietnam, there are really only two reputable cab companies: Mai Linh and Vinasun. If you’re stuck with some second rate company, you need to ensure the meter is running, as less than honest cabbies often have a hard time remembering to click the button. A ride should generally set you back about 15,000 VND (about 65 cents in USD) per kilometer.
When directing your driver, the best bet is to open up your destination in Google Maps to let him see. It’s not a bad idea to keep it open for the duration of your trip to ensure you’re going to Binh Thanh and not Ben Thanh Market.
A much more fun way to get around once you’ve reached your city of choice is by Xe Om or motorbike taxi. In central districts, Xe Om drivers are often found sitting on their bikes idly as they wait for a foreigner in need of a lift. However, it’s important to note that these aren’t always going to give you the best rate; thankfully, there’s an even better option.
Uber and Grab
Uber and Grab both operate a network of cars that are generally slightly cheaper than the most reputable cab companies. However, both also have moto options on their apps. If you’ve got no bike of your own, than these are the hands down best forms of transportation in Vietnam’s cities.
The process is identical to ordering a car. Plug in your destination, and order a driver. You’ll know exactly how much you need to pay and will certainly be pleased that that number is lower than any of your other options.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.