Although the Vietnam’s biggest New Year’s party is reserved for the Tết holiday in the first lunar month, Ho Chi Minh City still puts on a pretty good party for its Gregorian cousin. Let’s have a look at how you should say xin chào (hello) to a healthy and prosperous new year in style.
There’s insane traffic, massive crowds and horns constantly blaring, but spirits are high and everyone still has a lot of fun. New Year’s Eve in Saigon is an unforgettable atmosphere every year – hundreds of thousands of people enjoying time with their friends and families. The midnight fireworks shoot off near the Bitexco tower, which is the tallest building in District 1. Most people watch the show from the streets around the tower, or from District 2 across the Saigon River, but there are better options.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
District 2, Mai Chí Thọ, Quận 2, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
Nguyen Hue Walking Street
This new addition to Ho Chi Minh City stretches from the beautiful People’s Committee Building all the way to the Saigon river. And the best part? Motorbikes aren’t allowed. It’s crazy busy on New Year’s Eve, but it’s also a great spot for snacks and street performers and a decent view of the fireworks.
The best way to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Ho Chi Minh City is to party at a rooftop bar. It’s the perfect combination –fancy drinks, good service and a great view of the fireworks. There are places for different budgets, but here are some of the better places to ring in the new year. Keep in mind that you will probably need to make a reservation for most of these places, so call early. Some offer dinner packages as well.
Chill Sky Bar, AB Tower, 76A Lê Lai, District 1 +84 93 882 28 38
Air 360 sky Lounge, 136-138, Lê Thị Hồng Gấm +84 97 458 77 88
Eon51, Level 50/51/52, Bitexco Financial Tower, 2 Hải Triều +84 28 6291 8751
Liquid Sky Bar, 8-15 Tôn Đức Thắng, District 1 +84 838220033
Rex Hotel Rooftop Bar, 141 Nguyễn Huệ, District 1 +84 838292185
Level 23 Wine Bar & Nightstop, 80 Dong Du, District 1 +84 28 3827 2828
Glow Sky Bar, 93 Nguyễn Du, District 1 +84 93 887 45 69
The View Rooftop Bar, 195 Bùi Viện, District 1 +84 28 3838 6708
Breeze Sky Bar, Hotel Majestic, 1 Đồng Khởi, District 1 +84 28 3829 5514
Broma Not a Bar, 41 Nguyễn Huệ, District 1 +84 28 3823 6838
If you don’t care about seeing the fireworks, here are some of our favorite bars. Prefer to drink in a hotel bar? Here are some of the best. You could risk it and simply wander around on the night of until you find a place, but the massive crowds will make changing locations difficult and you might just find yourself out of luck. Our advice is to have a location in mind and get there early.
River Boat Cruises
For both a unique view of the fireworks and a memorable experience, go for a river boat cruise on the Saigon River. Again, book these early as they’re popular and tend to fill up.
Bonsai Cruise, 5 Nguyen Tat Thanh, District 4 +84 836206265
Saigon Boat Company, 15B/24 Le Thanh Ton, District 1 +84 90 984 48 13
You really should book a room somewhere downtown, near the river, even if just for the one night. The traffic is wild on New Year’s Eve, so unless you want to spend two hours in gridlock, book a room in District 1 as near to the Tran Hung Dao Statue as you can find for your price range. Happy partying!
Find places to stay with our partner, Hotels.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.