Hidden away in a seldom visited corner of northeast Vietnam, one of the country’s grandest waterfalls showers down through jungle-clad limestone walls. Ban Gioc Falls straddles the border with China, tumbling 100 feet from the Quây Sơn River to the rice paddies in the valley floor below.
Enter through the gift shop
When approaching the falls from the Vietnamese side, a well-maintained, paved road arcs along the hillside before sinking toward the river, providing excellent views along the way. Those arriving via motorbike can turn left down a sloping dirt track and park on the valley floor near the base of the falls for 10,000 VND, before purchasing entrance tickets at the kiosk for another 40,000.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A narrow, partially covered concrete path herds tourists through a 100 yards of gift shops and mediocre food stalls before opening up to the falls. It’s an amusing entrance-way, the sounds of crashing water are so close and glimpses can be had through slivers in the corrugated tin walls, yet it can’t be yours until you fulfill your tourist duties and peruse the last of the knickknacks.
What makes Ban Gioc special isn’t the height of the falls, but the width. The river spouts out over open rock walls, it meanders through bamboo groves, and funnels between jungle thickets. The result is a uniquely diverse natural site spanning more than 300 meters across the Chinese-Vietnamese border. There are sections where the water batters over abrupt drops and others where it flows leisurely and softly, spraying out in a relaxing mist.
Along the Vietnamese side, elevated wooden pathways snake over running water, carrying tourists to the sandy beach beneath the impressive central section. Bamboo rafts slowly motor tourists into the spray for 100,000 VND more. To left of the main falls, the water flows through the overgrown jungle canopy before splashing out in romantic white ribbons.
Ban Gioc is popular with both Vietnamese and Chinese tourists, yet isn’t well-traveled by foreign visitors. It’s best visited during the week when the crowds die down and should be avoided during public holidays.
Although today it’s generally understood that the river and thus the falls mark the dividing line between China and Vietnam, this has never been entirely agreed upon. Many Vietnamese hold firm to the idea that the falls in its entirety belongs to them. A stone marker placed on the southern side of the falls indicates the edge of Vietnam’s land; however, some believe this was moved during the war of 1979.
Ban Gioc is most easily visited from Cao Bang City. Vans and tour buses leave daily and can be booked at most hostels, hotels or guesthouses. For those on a motorbike, the ride is beautiful, twisting through verdant valleys and over great karst passes. It can be completed in two hours and is easily done by taking the QL3 to the DT206.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.