Vietnamese cuisine is a favourite around the globe – from hearty bowls of Pho to flavourful Banh Mis – but the unique dessert recipes remain slightly under wraps. Check out seven scrumptious desserts you can find here in tropical Ho Chi Minh City, plus a few bonus desserts that are must-tries!
Sticky rice balls in ginger syrup – Chè Trôi Nước
This gooey, sweet dessert is served hot and usually topped with white sesame seeds. The chewy, glutinous rice ball is stuffed with mung bean paste and cooked in a fragrant ginger syrup. Chè Trôi Nước roughly translates to “fulfilment” and this dessert is often eaten on a child’s first birthday and other traditional holidays such as Tet, the Vietnamese New Year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sweet potato, taro, and cassava soup – Chè Bà Ba
This dessert is native to southern Vietnam and is a favourite for its famed combination of flavours. Sweet potato, taro and cassava (two other root vegetables) simmer in a coconut milk broth with tapioca pearls. This creamy dessert is eaten on both hot and cool days and can be made even more delicious by topping it off with crushed peanuts.
Mung bean pastry – Bánh Dau Xanh
Mung bean pastries are specialty Vietnamese desserts. Bánh Dau Xanh is made of mung beans, sugar, oil, and fat. The texture of the beans can be a little odd for foreigners to get behind, but taking a bite of a mung bean pastry while after sipping a cup of tea you’ll be hooked. These pastries are not overly sweet and are a must-try for any traveller who enjoys sampling traditional foods.
Sweet corn pudding – Chè Bắp
This typical Vietnamese pudding consists of sweet corn, glutinous rice, and rich coconut milk topped with sesame seeds. The flavours of the sweet corn and coconut milk combined with the chewy texture of glutinous rice make for a unique dessert experience. It’s best to try this dessert during the harvest season from March to September, when the local corn is fresh and sweet.
Black sesame soup – Xi Ma
The saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” definitely applies to this dessert. From first glance it doesn’t look like something you’d be eager to ingest; it is a thick, black syrup usually sold by street vendors. It gets its colour from the main ingredient – black sesame seeds – and is not overly sweet. It has a rich, toasted sesame taste and is normally eaten as a mid-afternoon snack in Hoi An. Portions are small, served hot, and contain the herb pennywort, which is said to have strong healing properties. Don’t shy away from Xi Ma – buy a small cup and enjoy the unique flavour.
Mango sweet cakes – Bánh Xoai
This slightly deceptive sweet treat has nothing to do with mangoes; it gets its nickname from its mango-esque shape. This delectable street food can be regularly found in markets and near street food vendors. Bánh Xoai is made of a glutinous rice shell that is filled with a sweet mixture of peanuts and sesame seeds. It’s as delicious as it sounds!
The three-colour dessert – Chè Ba Mau
This popular dessert gets its name from its classic layers of yellow mung bean paste, red beans, and green pandan jelly that are topped with a layer of ice and a generous pouring of rich coconut cream. It’s served in a tall glass with a long spoon to mix the layers together, quickly turning it into to a multi-coloured masterpiece. It is the perfect treat on a hot and humid summer’s day in Vietnam. You can find Chè Ba Mau easily near major street food markets in the big cities.
Vietnamese doughnut – Banh Tieu
Ah, the delicious and addictive Vietnamese hollow doughnut. Banh tieu is the dessert you never knew you were missing in your life. The crispy, fried dough is perfectly sweet and covered in white sesame seeds, adding a crunchy texture and perfect balance of sweet and savoury. Banh tieu is the ultimate monsoon season treat – what could be better than kicking back with a hot cup of tea and some of these little doughnuts while listening to the rhythm of the rain falling outside? Spoiler alert: nothing. Vendors normally sell these in large metal saucers, so if you see them, buy a bag – you will not regret it!
Banana with sago pearls in coconut milk – Chè Chuối
This is one of the best desserts in the country. Sweet banana, rich coconut milk, sago pearls, sesame seeds, and crushed peanuts comprise this warm, heavenly treat. Much of the sweetness is owed to chuối sứ, a small banana native to Southeast Asia that is sweeter and more flavourful than its full-sized counterparts. Enjoying a small bowl of savoury Chè Chuối is a must for any traveller sporting a serious sweet tooth!
Iced coconut coffee at Cộng Cà Phê
Established in 2007, Cộng Cà Phê is a Vietnamese coffee chain that describes itself as a “hipster cafe and lounge”. These cafes have unique interiors full of plants, paintings, rustic tables and – of course – delicious coffee. One of their menu staples is traditional, strong Vietnamese espresso poured over a generous serving of iced coconut cream. Mixing the espresso into the iced coconut cream turns it into an iced coconut latte, which is definitely more of a dessert than a casual coffee. It’s sweet and cold, the perfect treat on a hot, humid day. Cộng Cà Phê is located throughout the country (more so in large cities), so you’ll have no trouble finding one to enjoy this rich, delightful iced coffee.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.