Brash, wild, exhilarating and a little bit lawless, Ho Chi Minh City has flourished into one of the crown jewels of Southeast Asia. Bangkok may still be better traveled and Hanoi arguably more historic, but this city, with its booming economy, terrific nightlife and dizzying energy, is like no other. Here are 11 reasons to pack your bags and head east.
Do you often find yourself gasping at the price of a beer? Well, with a Saigon or 333 hovering around 10,000 VND ($0.50 USD), Ho Chi Minh City is a beer drinker’s Shangri-La. Walk down any street and you’ll find a spattering of little plastic chairs on sidewalks. Take a seat with the locals, and enjoy some of the cheapest beer in the world. From back alley dives to four story canal-front joints, a dirt-cheap, ice-cold glass of beer is never far away.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From phở to bún bò Huế, bahn xeo and bánh mì, the tastes of Ho Chi Minh City are limitless and fantastic. Ditch the brick and mortar, and grab a bite at one of the city’s famed food carts for a more authentic feel. They’re open at all hours and can be found in every neighborhood.
The coffee in Vietnam is world renowned, and in Ho Chi Minh, it’s difficult to walk 50 feet without stumbling upon a coffee shop. This city couldn’t be more proud of its coffee culture. Whether you prefer your daily jolt of energy at a high-class establishment or somewhere with a dirt floor and exposed wiring, Ho Chi Minh has it all. Order a Cà Phê Sữa Đá, and taste some of the most delicious coffee money can buy.
The Stunning Transformation
With a fortress of new skyscrapers constantly jockeying for the top spot, this city is bursting with development. Buildings, bars, restaurants and parks open at such an incredible pace that it can be hard to keep up. This metropolis allows you to witness change and evolution right before your eyes.
Ho Chi Minh is made up of neighborhoods. From wide, tree-lined boulevards to tiny, labyrinthine alleys, no one area is quite like any other. Many tourists opt to remain central near the Pham Ngu Lao or Nguyen Hue areas, but for an off-the-beaten path treat, head to Binh Thanh or Phu Nhuan, and get lost in a maze of tiny lanes brimming with life. There’s no better way to feel the pulse of the city.
After a day of exploring in the inescapable Vietnamese heat, nothing beats relaxing with a cold drink in hand. If a glass of beer on the street isn’t for you, try out one of the city’s many rooftop bars. A cocktail or beer enjoyed from above will generally set you back a bit more—100,000–200,000 VND ($5–10 USD)—but the views alone are worth it. For a hip, younger vibe, check out Chill Skybar. If calm, quiet and peaceful is what you need, head over to the Majestic and watch the Saigon River meander by.
Bui Vien is best described as Khaosan Road before Khaosan Road became self-aware. It’s Ho Chi Minh City’s version of a sleepless backpacker street. Spend a night bar hopping beneath the neon lights, and soak up the grit and sin. From locals and grizzled old expats to travelers stopping through, Bui Vien offers some of the best people watching in all of Vietnam. The street’s central location is an ideal jumping off point for those visiting town. Whether you’re looking for that party that won’t stop or just want to be a spectator in the action, Bui Vien has it all.
Ho Chi Minh has some 10 million motorbikes buzzing through the streets—more than any other city in the world. You could spend hours sitting and watching the organized chaos and even longer growing the nerve to cross the street. The cargo aboard the motorbikes jousting for space along Ho Chi Minh’s streets is worthy of its own reality TV show—families of five, refrigerators, ovens and roll top desks. Whether you decide to take part in the madness or remain a sideline observer, make sure to keep your head up; bikes in this city have a penchant for traveling the wrong way or even down packed sidewalks.
The vast majority of travelers only stop by the centrally located, sprawling Ben Thanh Market. But to avoid the incessant hassle of touts, head elsewhere. You can buy textiles in Tan Dinh, pick up kilograms of spices in Chinatown, or immerse yourself in a neighborhood street market like Vo Duy Ninh in Binh Thanh.
It’s not only the beer and food that will keep that wallet of yours fat. In Ho Chi Minh City, it often seems difficult to spend money. Of course, there are high-end bars and stores, but the vast majority of the city is spectacularly cheap—even for Southeast Asia. You could have a full day of exploring, eating, drinking and shopping and still spend far less than $20 USD.
The economic boom has given rise to a palpable energy that permeates from every nook and cranny in the city. As soon as you leave the airport, there’s a feeling that you’re part of something special. From the lights, to the construction, to the movement on the streets, this city roars with action like few places on earth. Technically, the government is still communist; however, the economy in Ho Chi Minh is, without a doubt, free-market capitalist. The streets are bustling with shops, and there are vendors around every corner. The exchange of goods and money is relentless and fascinating in a country where private business was wholly illegal not long ago. There’s never been a better time to visit Ho Chi Minh.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.