Chiang Rai is home to some of the most beautiful and fascinating temples (wats) in Thailand. Come prepared to be awe-struck as you take a walk down history lane and discover some of the most sacred gems of Northern Thailand. We’ve put together a helpful list of the city’s most impressive temples for you to check out.
Wat Rong Khun (The White Temple)
A highlight of any visit to Chiang Rai is a trip to the quirky Wat Rong Khun, otherwise known as the White Temple. This unique temple juxtaposes tradition with contemporary art and was created by the famed Chaloemchai Khositphiphat. There is plenty to explore at this famous temple which also doubles as an art exhibition.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong
The founding date of Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong’s remains somewhat of a mystery, however, the pagoda dates back as early as 940. The pagoda was likely the inspiration in which King Mengrai identified the strategic location to build the city of Chiang Rai. The pagoda houses holy relics which were originally acquired by Prince Pangkaraj of Yonok Nakpan, who divided them between Wat Phra That Doi Tung, Wat Phra That Chomkitti, and Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong. The temple is located on the banks of the Kok River and provides stunning views of the nearby hills.
Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong, Rop Wiang, Mueang Chiang Rai, +66 53 716 055
Wat Phra Kaew (The Emerald Buddha)
Wat Phra Kaew is one of Chiang Rai’s oldest and most revered temples. It is believed that in 1434 the pagoda was broken by a lightning bolt which revealed the sacred Emerald Buddha hidden inside, which is now located in a temple with the same name in the Royal Palace grounds in Bangkok. An Emerald Buddha replica made of green jade is on display in Wat Phra Kaew in Chiang Rai. Also of particular interest is the 700-year-old bronze statue of Phra Chao Lan Thong and the two-story museum in the temple grounds.
Wat Phra That Doi Tung
Doi Chom Thong is a long-standing and important spiritual site. It is believed that local spirits arrived there before Buddhism came to the area and now co-exist. The central pagoda in the center of the temple is a mixture of Lanna and Bhu-Kam (ancient Burma). This temple is known for the famed elephant that had wandered off when Paw Kuhn Meng Rai was following it and arrived on the lone hill of Doi Chom Thong on the river bank.
Wat Phra Sing
Wat Phra Sing is one of the oldest temples in Chiang Rai. The temple’s main attractions are the ubosot, the viharn, the chapel containing a footprint of the Buddha and the area where the monks reside. This is a stunning temple with lots of details to discover. The grounds also including a Pali language school and large entrance gates with Naga snakes.
Wat Phra Sing, 2415 Ruangnakron Rd, Tambon Wiang, Amphoe Mueang, Chiang Rai, +66 053 711 735
Wat Phra That Chedi Luang
Wat Chedi Luang, which was constructed in 1290 by King Saen Phu, is located in Chiang Saen in Chiang Rai province. Located next to the National Museum, the temple is in traditional Chiang Saen style. Of particular interest are the 18-meter tall (60 feet) pagoda and the ruins of the large prayer hall. It is also worth spending some time exploring the nearby National Museum.
Wat Phra That Chom Kitti
Wat Phra That Chom Kitti is located on a small hill and is iconic for its crooked pagoda. This temple is actually comprised of two temples; Wat Phrathat Chom Kitti and Wat Chom Chaeng which has an old pagoda and a modern Chiang Saen style ubosot. The ubosot has a large Buddha image which sits under a fabricated Bodhi tree.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.