New in town? No problem, we’ll let you into a few of Chiang Mai’s best-kept food secrets. Explore the city’s dining scene like a local with this insider selection of some of Chiang Mai’s favourite eateries.
Burmese Restaurant and Library
This local gem is located in the heart of Nimmanheimen and serves up delicious authentic Burmese food at super low prices. Make sure to try the Shan specialities and the different salads, including pennywort, tamarind leaf and the famed la pet tok (Burmese pickled tea leaf salad). The plastic stools and roadside location add to the charm of this simple yet delicious local favourite.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Burmese Restaurant and Library, Nimmana Haeminda Road Soi 8, Su Thep, Chiang Mai, Thailand, +66 53 220 848
Zood Zood offers cheap and tasty Thai food in a clean and air-conditioned location. The extensive menu also includes a few international dishes, however, our top tip is to go for the salmon tom yum noodle soup. Zood Zood is often still open past midnight so the perfect place to stop off for a late night meal or snack after a night out on the town.
Zood Zood, Nimmana Haeminda Rd Lane 9, Tambon Su Thep, Chiang Mai, Thailand, +66 96 789 1596
SP Chicken is one of Chiang Mai’s best-kept secrets and not a place you would likely stumble upon. You probably guessed that this place serves chicken, but not just any chicken, slow roasted chicken infused with garlic. The house-made nam jim dipping source is pure heaven and a selection of other favourites like som tam (green papaya salad) are served. Please note, SP chicken is no longer open in the evenings.
Food 4 Thought
Food 4 Thought is a home away from home. This cafe come homestay serves delicious, fresh and healthy food and is the perfect place to relax, work or catch up with friends. If you craving a healthy smoothie, kombucha or to stock up on healthy snacks, you’ve come to just the right place.
Khao Soi Mai Sai
Tuck into a soulful bowl of rich and creamy Khao Soi at Khao Soi Mai Sai, a local hot spot that has been in business for over 20 years. The northern Thai speciality is a soup-like dish available in chicken, beef, pork or vegetarian options. This mouth-watering meal has a rich coconut curry base, boiled egg noodles and is garnished with deep-fried crispy egg noodles, pickled mustard greens, shallots, lime and ground chilies fried in oil. Khao Soi Mai Sai is only open during the day and it is advised to come early to avoid missing out!
The Whole Earth
The Whole Earth has been a part of Chiang Mai’s culinary scene for more than 40 years, offering outstanding Thai, Indian and vegetarian dishes. First developed as a transcendental meditation centre that also offered vegetarian meals, the restaurant side of things has grown in popularity. It now serves a unique combination of Thai and Ayurvedic cuisine, and a wide range of creative dishes, in its rustic Lanna-style building surrounded by a lovely garden.
The Whole Earth, 88 Th Si Donchai, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand, +66 53 282 463
Tucked down a quiet lane in the Umong neighbourhood is Rosey Cheeks which is just a little more than a hole in the wall with a hand full of tables. Chef Fuji is an eclectic fusion master chef who creates every dish with love and passion. You won’t be disappointed with this insider hot-spot!
Rosey Cheeks, 52/2 Village No.8 Soi 4, Soi Wat Umong, Chiang Mai, Thailand, +66 94 842 0197
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.