Thai’s are known to be a superstitious bunch, and the Luk Thep baby doll tradition is no different. Want to know more about the fascinating Luk Thep culture that made headlines around the world? Read our article to find out more about this unique tradition and the ongoing search for good fortune.
What is a Luk Thep?
Luk Thep, or “Child Angels” are plastic, life-like baby dolls that are believed to be possessed by spirits that bring about good luck and future prosperity. Luk Thep are treated like any other baby or child, they are fed, dressed and cradled. The lifelike manufactured dolls have become a large and (somewhat) normal part of everyday life for Thai people as well as a worldwide sensation that international media outlets latched on to.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How did the Luk Thep tradition come about?
Mae Ning is the individual largely responsible for setting the trend of turning the humble plastic doll into revered carriers of good fortune. Mae Ning, who is a doll seller is also a Hindu ritual expert (although self-professed) and a local radio DJ, she claimed on air that the dolls to have superpowers. Shortly after the statement Buddhist monks and fortune tellers held rituals to place “lucky” spirits into the plastic dolls. Thai celebrities were quick to jump on the bandwagon and were seen carrying Luk Thep where ever there went. Taking the dolls to swanky restaurants and nail spas and even demanding separate plane seats for them. Thai Smile a national low-cost carrier of Thai Airways even allowed “parents” or “guardians” of the Luk Thep to purchase seats for their Child Angels, for them to be offered onboard meals and briefed flight attendants to treat them like any other child passenger.
Where does the Luk Thep tradition originate from?
There are a few different theories on the origins of Luk Thep, with some making the assumption that Luk Thep are updated versions of Kuman Thong. Kuman Thong were fetuses which had passed away before being born which were kept and believed to carry the spirit of the dead child. Others believe that the Luk Thep tradition is tied to Thailand’s low fertility rate, as middle-aged Thai women are most often the ones toting these sacred dolls about. Another common belief is that due to the challenging economic climate in Thailand in 2016 when the tradition was born, Thailand’s citizens needed something to cling on to (literally). However, the consensus sways more towards the Luk Thep culture being connected to the fusion of Thailand’s strong Buddhist belief and influences from Hinduism, animism and object worshipping traditions.
Next time you see a life-size doll being pampered and doted on by a bunch of adoring adults in the Land of Smiles, you’ll know exactly what is going on and be able to fill in the blanks for any bewildered travellers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.