Got 48 hours in Chiang Rai? Don’t worry, even with just a little bit of time you can still get a comprehensive and exciting taste of what this city has to offer. Explore some of the popular cultural sights, try local specialities, discover the nightlife and more! Check out our helpful guide on how to make the most of your time in Chiang Rai.
Explore the famous White Temple
A must see on any Chiang Rai itinerary is the famous Wat Rong Khun, otherwise known as the White Temple. This unique temple juxtaposes tradition with contemporary art and was created by the famed Chaloemchai Khositphiphat. His lifelong project is expected to be continued after his death, and he can be found on site working away on most days. Spend a few hours exploring this intriguing and artistic temple.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Experience authentic northern Thai food
Ran Lab Sanam Keela takes you on a culinary journey of authentic Lanna food. This is one of the most well-known restaurants in Chiang Rai. Although the menu offers only a few dishes, all of them are irresistible delicacies that reflect the traditional dining culture of the area. The Yang Ruam is particularly recommended; pla tabtim tod kratiem, tom sab moo and jeen neung are also worth a try. Enjoy!
Ran Lab Sanam Keela, Rop Wiang, Mueang Chiang Rai, Thailand, +66 87 173 2498
Go for a relaxing afternoon tea
If you are in need of a break from sightseeing and want a relaxing place to relax by the river check out the “Simple Life,” Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House, Bistro & Bar. This family-run cafe is set in a beautiful colonial-style house right on the banks of the Kok River. There are numerous places where you can sit and enjoy a coffee, tea, freshly baked goods or home cooked meals and marvel at the natural surroundings or peruse the beautiful collection of antique items.
Sample the Chiang Rai nightlife
Chiang Rai cannot compare to the world-famous nightlife of Bangkok, but it does have a few bars that are worth checking out! If you are travelling along, stopping off at some of the town’s popular popular watering holes can be a great way to meet both locals and foreigners.
Good morning Chiang Rai!
Opposite Ko Loi public park facing the river, a few steps away from the Chiang Rai Boutique River Resort, you’ll find Melt In Your Mouth Chiang Rai. While the place is a popular restaurant that’s known mainly for its dinner and desserts, the breakfast is worth a look too. Come early in the morning and enjoy a relaxing breakfast while taking in a view of the river and the gardens all around.
Uncover the secrets of The Black House
Not as famous as the White Temple, Chiang Rai’s black house is still a fascinating place to visit. This quirky and curious museum was inspired by Chaloemchai Khositphiphat, the mastermind behind the White Temple and the Chiang Rai Clock Tower. The Black House has a traditional Thai feel at first glance, however, once you look a little further, you see a more morbid side appear, with decorations made out of animal skins and skulls. The artist hoped to create a space that shows the darker side of human thoughts and actions, and this is highlighted with an onsite torture chamber in one of the outlying buildings. It’s easy to spend a couple of hours unravelling the inner thoughts of the artist as you explore this unique attraction.
For lunch, jump into a delicious bowl of creamy Khao Soi. Khao Soi Phor Jai is the perfect opportunity to try the northern Thai speciality. This popular local restaurant serves up steaming bowls of the creamy curry noodle soup dish. The atmosphere is lively and busy, it is advised that you come early so you don’t miss out!
Khao Soi Phor Jai, 1023/2, Chet Yot Road, Tambon Robwieng, Amphoe Muang Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai, Thailand, +66 53 712 935
Embrace your wanderlust
After lunch why not head out of town to the Pong Phra Bat Hot Springs. This waterfall and hot spring combo is located 14 kilometres outside of the city and is a rustic and charming attraction to while away a few hours in and rest those travel weary muscles. Entrance to use the pools is only 10 baht and 20 baht for a private room, an afternoon activity that won’t break the bank!
Got time spare?
If you still have some time to kill or are looking for a place to continue your adventure, visit Doi Mae Salong. Nestled in the mountains in Chiang Rai Province, and close to the border of Myanmar, lies Doi Mae Salong. The mountain was home to a Chinese military division settlement and is also home to numerous hill tribe communities. For the optimal experience, hire a motorbike and drive the stunningly beautiful 1234 highway. Mae Salong village offers stunning nature, delicious tea tasting opportunities and the chance to immerse one self in rural village life.
Mae Salong Nok, Mae Fa Luang, Chiang Rai, Thailand, +66 22 505 500
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.