With its own airport and shopping centre, it’s easy to forget that Koh Samui is an island after all — but don’t for a second think it has lost any of its island charm. Shopping, sandy beaches and sightseeing all feature here on our list of wonderful reasons to visit Samui.
Hin Ta and Hin Yai Rocks
Whether it’s simply that there’s something inherently funny about phallic symbols occurring in nature, or because you want to satiate your natural curiosity for wonderful surroundings, the Hin Ta and Hin Yai rocks are a great reason to visit. Also known as the grandfather and grandmother rocks, these penis- and vagina-shaped stones are a must-see on the island and make for a perfect picture with the backdrop of the sea right behind you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Big Buddha
Island gigantism is a phenomenon where animals on islands grow bigger than their counterparts on the mainland. On Koh Samui, it isn’t just applicable to animals, but to statues too. Samui’s Big Buddha statue remains a popular attraction and it’s easy to see why; the 12-meter tall golden statue can be seen from far away, and offers great views of the island from the summit. Well worth the visit.
As if being a paradisiacal island wasn’t enough, nature had to make the island mainland just as attractive as its edges. The Namuang Waterfalls is a natural beauty that’s easily accessible and features dramatic water cascades as well as natural pools to swim in. A worthy alternative should you ever tire of the beach, the cool and beautiful surroundings make it the ideal spot for a picnic or just to relax.
Located on the northern edge of the island is Bophut Village, a rustic fisherman’s village that comprises the historical part of the island. Whilst it may be sleepy through the week, on Fridays it comes alive, hosting a popular night market selling tons of souvenirs and freshly prepared food. Not in Samui on a Friday? Don’t worry, there are still several restaurants, trinket shops and boutiques in Bophut that are well worth checking out at any time.
Ang Thong Marine Park
An archipelago consisting of some 42 islands, the Ang Thong Marine Park is an adventurer’s paradise. Tours through the park can see you swim, kayak and climb to your heart’s content, taking in cerulean seas, dramatic caves and untouched nature in the process. It’s the perfect way to fully appreciate the beauty of Thailand’s Gulf coast.
Not many islands in Thailand can boast their own Central Festival shopping center, but Koh Samui is one that can. Hosting a number of well-known stores and restaurants on its premises, it’s the number one place on the island to indulge in a spot of retail therapy. Western favorites such as Adidas and Uniqlo join Thai heavyweights such as Jim Thompson, giving visitors a range of styles to choose from and providing an air of authenticity to an afternoon of shopping.
Whilst “wonderful” might be stretching it a little too far when it comes to describing Koh Samui’s mummy, it’s still an important cultural site on the island and makes for an engaging attraction. Located in Wat Khunaram, the mummified body belongs to that of Luong Pordaeng, a monk who was born on the island in 1894 and died peacefully whilst meditating. With his body showing remarkably little signs of decay, it’s on display for visitors to pay their respects, and is well-respected by the Buddhist Thais who visit. Aside from the mummy, the temple itself is pretty and picturesque, and worth a visit in its own right.
The night markets
There’s nothing better than a freshly cooked meal and shopping bargains, and Koh Samui’s various night markets are the perfect places to find them. The night market in Chaweng is a particular highlight, and visitors can expect to find their favourite Thai dishes prepared fresh in front of them for a fraction of the cost you’d pay in a restaurant. There are also several stalls selling clothes and souvenirs should you need a shopping fix. Chaweng’s Walking Street market is open daily from 16:30, and you might find yourself coming back night after night.
The joys of Chaweng
Undoubtedly Koh Samui’s most lively district, Chaweng is home to a number of bars and restaurants, as well as a gorgeous strip of beach. Lively at all hours, Chaweng is the party capital of the island, with its bars and clubs frequently seeing patrons spill out onto the streets. It’s also the best place to catch cabaret shows, which feature transgenders performers singing and dancing. The shows make for quite the spectacle and shouldn’t be missed.
The splendour of Koh Samui can’t be doubted and, should anyone try, all that’s needed is a trip to one of its various viewpoints. Featuring panoramic views of the island and the azure-blue sea, the views from the Khao Hua Jook pagoda, Lamai viewpoint and Jungle Club all show the wonders of the island and are ideal spots to relax and take it all in. Heaven on Earth.
It simply wouldn’t be a Thai island without a number of gorgeous beaches, and on Koh Samui you’ll be spoiled for choice. Soft white sand, gorgeous palm trees and crystal-clear seas all feature heavily on this gem of an island. Despite Chaweng’s popularity, it’s still immensely beautiful, with tons of activities to keep you busy. For something a little quieter, the beaches of Lipa Noi, Silver Beach and Bang Por offer a more relaxed experience, but be warned — once you visit, you might not ever want to leave.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.