Krabi, located in southern Thailand, is a paradise that truly offers something for everyone. Its diverse landscape encompasses stunning beaches, dramatic limestone cliffs, lush jungles, and captivating cultural sites. Whether you’re a sunseeker, an adventure enthusiast, or a culture buff, Krabi has attractions that will leave you enchanted. Here are some of the best places to include in your Krabi travel itinerary:
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Khao Khanab Nam
The twin limestone mountains of Khao Khanab Nam are major local landmarks and one of the main symbols of the province. The mountains are split by a river and have several caves beneath them. Venture into the caves and admire interesting rock formations, then gaze up at the mighty mountains from ground level. The caves also hold a mystery: many skeletons were found here, with only speculation as to what caused the deaths of these unfortunate souls, whose remains are thought to date to prehistoric times. It’s possible to climb one of the mountains, with incredible views from the summit and a rocky overhang that attracts daredevils for dramatic Instagram photos.
Wat Tham Sua (Tiger Cave Temple)
Local lore tells of a fearsome tiger that once called this cave home – and paw-like imprints in the rocks seem to support the legends. The network of caves is now filled with religious statues and shrines and it’s common to see saffron-clad monks praying here. A revered Buddha footprint sits on top of the hill; be prepared to climb more than 1,200 steps to reach the peak. The sense of spirituality and glorious views across the island-studded Andaman Sea make the effort more than worth it.
Phra Nang Shrine
Phra Nang Shrine, also known as the Princess Cave, is a small cave at the end of Phra Nang Beach. Accessible from the sands, the cave is filled with phallic offerings wrapped with colourful ribbons, flower garlands, traditional statues and other gifts. The penis-shaped items come in all sizes and colours. The lingas (phalluses) represent the Hindu deity of Shiva and making merit here is said to increase fertility. Local fishermen also come to pray and seek safety for their sea voyages. Several legends surround the woman who the cave honours; some tell tales of an Indian princess that drowned, while others say she was the wife of a fisherman who perished at sea.
Thung Teao Forest Natural Park
One of the most beautiful natural attractions in Krabi, Thung Teao Forest Natural Park is an almost otherworldly landscape filled with fascinating flora and fauna. The stunning Emerald Pool is a highlight for many, with shimmering blue-green waters that are perfect for a refreshing dip. Gnarled tree roots snaking across the ground and tendrils swaying in the breeze add to the surreal air. The tropical rainforest is also home to striking waterfalls, thermal springs and walking trails.
Wat Kaew Korawaram
On top of a hill in the heart of Krabi Town, Wat Kaew Korawaram provides awesome views of the surroundings. Two ferocious-looking naga statues flank the staircase, their golden tails snaking all the way up the steps. Climb to the large terrace and you’ll find a temple that looks slightly different to many of the other Buddhist temples in Thailand – the roof is blue and the walls are white. There are many interesting religious statues here and the temple walls feature eye-catching paintings that tell the story of the Lord Buddha’s life. As with many religious attractions in Thailand, food stalls and vendors selling offerings and amulets can be found outside.
Lanta Animal Welfare
A charitable organisation that assists local animals and educates people about animal wellbeing, Lanta Animal Welfare is a major tourist attraction on the island of Koh Lanta. Learn more about the aims of the sanctuary and meet the rescue animals. There are opportunities to walk the dogs and play with the cats too. Donations go towards sterilisation programmes, feeding, upkeep of the facility, medical care, marketing and other essential work. It’s a fantastic attraction for combining fun with giving back to the local community and assisting with sustainability efforts.
Susan Hoi, also known as the Shell Cemetery and Fossil Shell Beach, is an unusual geological site in Krabi. Fossils of shellfish sit immortalised and clearly visible in the shale rock. The site is thought to be between 25m and 40m years old. An information centre contains exhibitions related to the ghostly coastal area and there’s a nearby Chinese temple and mangroves that are worth visiting at the same time.
Made famous in the cult Leonardo DiCaprio movie The Beach (2000), Maya Bay is one of the major tourist draws in Krabi. The picturesque curved bay is almost enclosed by greenery-covered rocks and karsts, with clear waters meeting soft white sands. The jungle background adds to the enchantment and longtail boats often bob along the gentle waves. While you certainly won’t be alone on the beach, it’s still easy to appreciate the natural splendour. Remember to do your part for the environment and take away your litter. Part of the uninhabited Koh Phi Phi Leh, Maya Bay is typically visited on day trips from Koh Phi Phi Don, mainland Krabi, Koh Lanta, or Phuket.
A rock climber’s paradise, Railay Beach is sandwiched between the sparkling waters of the sea and dramatic, craggy mountains. Verdant growth covers the gleaming limestone cliffs and monkeys frolic among the branches. Many people visit the peninsula, which is only accessible by boat, for adventurous rock climbing, though you’ll also feel right at home basking on the beautiful beach and swimming in the clear waters. The area also offers short jungle hikes, kayaking and boat trips.
Ao Nang Beach
One of the liveliest beaches in mainland Krabi, Ao Nang Beach is a popular tourist area. Attracting backpackers, couples, families and travellers of all ages, it’s a great area for enjoying the beach, market and nightlife. Indeed, Ao Nang has some of the best clubs and bars in Krabi. The diverse restaurants cater to most tastes, with Thai cuisine and international dishes available and there are plentiful tour companies to make exploring Krabi a breeze. Charter a longtail boat and set sail for nearby islands such as Koh Hong, Koh Poda and Koh Gai. Accommodation is varied, with something to suit most budgets.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.