When Portuguese sailors first saw Taiwan in the 1500s, they dubbed it “Ilha Formosa” which means the beautiful island. And with its many national parks and incredible scenery, never has a name been more fitting. But it’s not just the scenery that makes Taiwan a place for the avid traveler’s bucket list. Here are 12 reasons you should visit.
If there’s one thing Taiwanese people love, it’s food. While many other cultures make do with three meals a day, locals here place no such dietary restrictions on themselves. The never-ending Taiwanese quest for new tastes and flavors means that there are always new dishes to try and the local passion for street food means that eating out can be quite a cheap alternative to cooking at home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ask for directions on the street and regardless of whether the person assisting you can speak your language or not, they will gladly help. In fact, many tourists have found that the hospitality offered to them was one of the main reasons they loved Taiwan so much. Taiwanese people really are that friendly.
The night markets
While things are pretty lively during the day, it’s when the sun goes down that the place comes alive. Taiwan’s bustling night markets are a sometimes overwhelming fusion of delicious street food and budget-friendly clothing with a light sprinkling of stalls that sell anything and everything. If you were to choose one place to visit during a trip to Taiwan, you can’t go wrong with the local night market.
The incredible temples
For the most part, Taiwanese people are quite religious, with the huge variety of beautiful temples dotted throughout the island a clear indicator of their pious nature. These places of worship are quite often opulent in appearance with some located in stunning surroundings. And while some tourists may feel a little intrusive by visiting these sites, locals are extremely welcoming to those that do.
Whether it’s a trip to an all-night Karaoke venue or a night out clubbing with friends, Taiwan has it all. There are many clubs in the cities with Taipei in particular boasting venues that appeal to lovers of every musical genre. Prefer a quiet night enjoying some locally brewed craft beers? Then the many cafés and bars popping up all over the island have you covered.
The amazing scenery
Those Portuguese sailors were on to something when they named Taiwan the beautiful island. Home to amazing national parks that boast beaches, mountains, valleys, and even dormant volcanoes, Taiwan has such natural beauty that several major film productions such as ‘Silence‘ and ‘Life of Pi‘ took advantage of its scenery.
The hiking trails
With such scenery come the inevitable hiking trails. From light treks to serious climbs, there’s no shortage of hiking opportunities throughout the island that offer tourists a glimpse of a traffic-free Taiwan in all its undiluted glory.
The unique hotels
Hotels are big business in Taiwan and business is booming as it gains recognition throughout the world as the ideal Asian holiday destination. And with so much competition, hotel owners are coming up with some unique themes for their hotels and accommodations. Fancy sleeping in a Bat Cave themed room? Well, you can do that right here in Taiwan.
The architectural landmarks
Taipei 101 is, of course, the most famous of Taiwan’s modern architectural landmarks attracting huge numbers of tourists each week, but it’s not the only landmark to be seen here. From shoe-shaped churches to stained glass domed subway stations, there’s a plethora of unique buildings that dot Taiwan’s many townships and cities.
Yes, there’s the small matter of the typhoon season which runs from June to October to contend with, but generally speaking the weather in Taiwan (particularly in the south) is perfect. Lovers of the sun will appreciate the soaring temperatures in the south which is home to some of the most incredible beaches and coastlines
The major cities such as Kaohsiung, Taipei, and Taichung are packed with department stores, boutiques, and gift shops. There are several major department store chains that operate throughout Taiwan, so no matter what is on the shopping list, chances are you’ll find it. But it’s not just run of the mill consumer goods that are popular here. Taiwan is famous for manufacturing computers and their components and in Taipei tourists can visit the huge Guang Hua Digital Plaza for all their PC-related needs.
While religious festivals are a common occurrence in Taiwan, there are also many other festivals held throughout the region that capture the imagination of travelers. These include Fulong International Sand Sculpture Festival, Organik techno festival, and the Lantern Festival. In fact, no matter when you are visiting the island, there’s a chance that your trip will coincide with at least one major festival.
Of course, Taiwan is full of the standard museums we come to expect and love on our trips abroad. However, there are also many smaller or privately owned museums throughout the region that offer an interesting way to spend a morning or an afternoon. The Chimei Museum with its European-influenced architecture and the Miniatures Museum of Taiwan are the perfect examples of popular private museums.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.