Ella is a mountain town in Sri Lanka known for its hikes and trails. With tea plantations, waterfalls and plenty of natural scenery, this area of Sri Lanka is a favourite among backpackers. As small as Ella is, there are plenty of spots to have a meal, a cup of tea or some drinks after sundown. Here is a list of the top 10 restaurants in Ella, in no particular order.
Most restaurants and cafes line Ella’s main road and a couple are a little off of the centre, but all are easily accessible by foot or by tuk tuk.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Dream Cafe is the coffee shop located outside of the Dream Cafe guesthouse. Good for breakfast and a quick meal, Dream Cafe has seating that overlooks the road and serves typical cafe fare.
Dream Cafe, +94 0572 051 110
Традиционная еда ланкийцев – рис и карри. Все блюда жгучие, острые и вкусные. Карри – это еда, приготовленная с добавлением специальной специи, включающей в себя черный перец, перец чили, имбирь, кориандр, тмин, куркуму, горчицу, чеснок и листья вечнозеленого кустарника карри. Считается, что острая еда помогает легче переносить жару и меньше потеть, а так же насекомые не любят пряную кровь. Сейчас, конечно, и от насекомых и от жары есть другие средства, но привычные вкусовые традиции сохранились. #srilanka??#srilanka #элла #hikkaduwa #travel #traveling#еда #хиккадува#шриланка #путешествие #photo #travelers #travelph #travelphoto#food
A post shared by Filat Irina (@irinafilat) on Jan 3, 2017 at 5:25am PST
Matey Hut is a tiny log hut that doesn’t look like much but serves a mean rice and curry with all the trimmings. The place is small so there may be a wait – it’s worth it!
Matey Hut, Ella
Amazing curry well 4 Curry’s and a coconut shaped like a fish all for under $5 #ella #mateyhut #srilanka #food
A post shared by kaila Dooling (@happytravellerkd) on Nov 22, 2017 at 5:31am PST
One of the biggest attractions in Ella is the hike to Little Adam’s Peak. On the edge of town and close to the bus stop, the Curd Shop serves killer curd and treacle. It’s also a great spot for a quick breakfast before the hike and for picking up sandwiches for the walk.
As one of the many roadside cafes in Ella, 360 is laid back and friendly. The food is varied and the ambience is relaxed. 360 is a great option for a meal – the burgers are a favourite.
360 Ella, 10, Main Street, Ella, +94 071 409 4688
Tom and I spent lunch, dinner and breakfast at 360 Ella which is right at the heart of the town. The atmosphere is lovely, you can choose to sit either downstairs, upstairs under a little roof or on a verandah but the entire place is technically outdoors which is lovely. They even have an entire wall which is basically just a chalk board and I definitely didn’t miss my opportunity to write my name on it. I kind of like the idea of there being a little part of me in Ella regardless of where in the world I am. Although the service was quite slow they did do everything possible to accommodate us the best they could. We weren’t feeling well during breakfast and the manager went to the store to get us samahan tea and didn’t even charge us for it. Can’t wait to go again! •I got the 360 Ella burger which has a layer of egg and melted cheese over the chicken patty. I’ve never had an egg with my burger but it was absolutely amazing. Ended up ordering the same thing for dinner too. • Tom got the chicken and cheese rotti, which he claims was “delightful”, and the banana and chocolate rotti. Fortunately I got to try the banana and chocolate rotti and it’s the best thing I’ve ever had, we ended up ordering it again for dinner and breakfast the next morning.
A post shared by Rukshana. (@travelroookie) on Jul 14, 2017 at 3:30am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.