Sri Lanka has always been famous for its beautiful handlooms, precious gems and Ayurvedic treatments. Younger generations have taken the knowledge they inherited and have now created beautiful products for visitors and Sri Lankans alike. From colourful and modern house linen to resplandecent sapphire rings, Colombo Sri Lanka has plenty of goodies to take home.
When arriving in Sri Lanka, or on your way out, take a day or two and do some shopping in Colombo. Get some jewellery for your mom, natural skin products for your sister, a sarong for your uncle and much more!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Barefoot Garden Cafe and Shop
The breezy Barefoot Garden Cafe on Galle Road in Bambalapitiya is a favourite in Colombo. Barefoot’s main production consists of handwoven silk and cotton clothing made in classic Sri Lankan styles with some interesting twists. The shop also has a great book section with plenty of literature about Sri Lanka, for both kids and adults. There is also a lovely assortment of jewellery, toys, and home supplies.
Barefoot Garden Cafe and Shop, 704, Galle Rd, Colombo 0112 589 305
Sri Lankan hand loom weavers making beautiful placemats for a tropical wedding ??? . . . . . . . . . . #weaversofinstagram #weavegoals #handloom #weddingtabledecor #colourpop #colour #srilanka #peacockpictures #barefootsrilanka #destinationwedding #destinationweddingvideographer #liveauthentic #loveauthentic #handcraft #supportlocal #momentdriven #storytelling #storytellers #travel #srilankanwedding #bohemian #style #lovelustlist #romance #love #paradise @barefootceylon @srilankastreetstyle @theluxlife.srilanka
A post shared by Peacock Pictures ? ? (@peacockpictures.co) on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:48am PDT
Another amazing shop for special home products is Paradise Road. Apart from gorgeous minimalistic house linen, their hand-painted mugs and plates are a favourite. Their canvas bags printed with the Sinhala alphabet and woven pillow covers are also beautiful. On the second floor, you’ll find a room filled with only white dinner plates and bowls.
Paradise Road, 213 Srimath Anagarika Dharmapala Mawatha, Colombo 0112 686 043
Artfully handpainted ceramic cups – a set of these makes an excellent gift idea. #paradiseroad #paradiseroadsrilanka #colomboshopping #shop #srilanka #colombo #shopping #gifts
A post shared by Paradise Road (@paradiseroad_srilanka) on Mar 6, 2016 at 10:07pm PST
The Good Market is the best shop in the city as it sells all sorts of organic products, from snacks, to produce and skin and hair treatments. All products are sourced locally and follow strict organic guidelines. Every Saturday, the Good Market sets up a pop-up market at the Colombo Racecourse with lots of vendors, such as small business owners, that sell handmade products from all over the island.
Good Market, 14 Philip Gunawardena Mawatha, Colombo 077 020 8642
#Handmade items of local vendors at #goodmarket #RaceCourse #srilanka
A post shared by Bella Dalima (@belladalima) on Oct 29, 2017 at 6:48am PDT
TEAELI Tea Experience
The newest tea experience in Sri Lanka is called TEAELI. Handcrafted blends, like the innovative After Dinner Mint or the Almond Truffle, can be taken home in little jars that are measured and packed on the spot. All jars are signed by the Brew Master who prepares your package. The TEAELI Loose Leaf Tea Bar at Park Street Gourmet has everything you need to make that perfect cup of tea. If you are looking for a more in-depth Tea Experience, TEAELI offers tea tastings and master brewing classes for groups of at least two people. For an unforgettable experience, tea lovers can be flown via helicopter to a tea estate in the highlands for a tea tasting feast. Contact TEALI for more information.
Park Street Gourmet, 33b Park Street, Colombo 02, Colombo 0114 333 505
Private Artisan Tea Tasting Experience set up. #teatasting #tea #joinus #artisan
A post shared by TEAELI (@teaelitea) on Nov 10, 2017 at 6:43pm PST
Dilmah is one of the most famous teas in Sri Lanka and they have a couple of shops in Colombo where they sell all of their tea varieties. From the classic English Breakfast to Earl Grey, Dilmah offers an extensive collection of loose leaf tea and pyramid tea bags. Not only do they have the largest selection of teas in Colombo, they also sell books published by the Dilmah foundation. You can find books about Sri Lankan birds, butterflies and more. The gift boxes are perfect for taking back home, along with their special coloured sand clocks to make the perfect tea.
Dilmah T-Lounge, Chatham St, Colombo 0112 447 168
Чаю? #dilmahtea #tlounge #srilanka #colombo #voyagevoyage
A post shared by Iuliia & A. (@bici_lua) on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:59am PDT
The Design Collective
Contemporary fashion designers in Colombo are an ever-growing group of talented artists and they are coming together to open boutiques where they can show off their creations. Not only is the Design Collective a retail space that showcases designers from Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia, it is also a creative space to experience art and design.
The Design Collective, 28 Stratford Ave, Colombo 0112 596 329
Have you walked through our new array range of metallics and pastel shades lined up for you @thedesigncollectivestore ❔ . #shopinColombo #amilaniperera #tdc #thedesigncollective #colomboshopping #shopinsrilanka #colombo #srilanka #srilankandesigner #inasia #fashion #asiandesigner #retail #asia Photo credit @elisha60
A post shared by Amilani Perera (@amilani_perera) on Nov 8, 2017 at 6:02pm PST
Indi & Co
Indi & Co is the newest installment of collective shops by fashion designers. Contemporary designer Indi opened ICO as a place to showcase her designs, as well as other designers from Sri Lanka. Find unique pieces and special edition collections at Indi & Co.
Indi & Co, 15 Havelock Place, Colombo 077 111 8707
Love a bit of CHAOS….. Shop at INDI & Co. #ico #icosrilanka #contemporary #independent #designers #fashion #colombo #lk #lka #shopping #madeinsrilanka #wheretoshopcolombo #madeinindia #indodesigner #srilankanstyle #tourist #picoftheday #photography #visitsrilanka #srilankatourism #holidayshopping
A post shared by INDI & Co. (@ico_srilanka) on Nov 13, 2017 at 10:53pm PST
Natural skin care and hair products are easy to find in Sri Lanka. Ayurvedic treatments are part of the island’s culture and Kemara has taken that into account in order to create a range of wonderful body care products.
Kemara, No. 14 Reid avenue, Colombo 0112 696 498
Relax the mind | Renew the body | Revive the soul Visit us @ no.14, Reid avenue, Colombo 7 And make your lovely day more relaxing ? #Kemara #kemaralife #spa #SriLankan #srilankandiaries #travelsrilanka #spasrilanka #bestspa #wellness #wellnesstreatments #healing #colombolife #colombo #visitus #kemarafamily
A post shared by Kemara (@kemaralife) on Dec 19, 2016 at 9:03pm PST
There are hundreds of gem shops in Colombo and Jewel Arena is one of the best. With a large collection of jewellery that comes in many different styles, you can be sure that all the gems are mined in Sri Lanka and turned into beautiful pieces to take back home.
Jewel Arena, No. 16, Flower Road, Colombo 0115 934 300
To all Nations Trust AMEX & MASTER CARD holders – Up to 50% savings with 20 months interest free installments on all diamond & coloured stone jewellery. Offer valid from 23rd October 2016 – 31st October 2016, a fantastic opportunity to treat yourself to some fabulous pieces of jewellery at Jewel Arena!!!
A post shared by Hasna Cader (@jewelarena) on Oct 22, 2016 at 2:51am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.