No one does cute quite like South Korea. Whether it’s latte art, photographs, couple clothes or theme parks, it’s all guaranteed to make you go ‘aww’. Here are some of the most surprising things that South Koreans manage to make cute.
Ask anyone who’s been living in South Korea what their number one souvenir recommendation is, and nine times out of ten they’ll say socks. Cheap and cheerful is the name of the game with these bad boys, and cuteness is dialled up to the max.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You might have heard of Kakao Friends, the cute mascots of Korean messaging app Kakao Talk. Kakao Corp, the app’s parent company, also offers a range of other services, including Kakao Bank. One of the big draws of this bank are its debit cards, which have a number of designs featuring — you guessed it — the Kakao Friends. Many Koreans opened a Kakao bank account as soon as the bank was launched, just to get their hands on one of the coveted cards.
You might not think that cute cartoon characters would get you in the mood to get it on, but in South Korea, it’s par for the course. Many condom brands feature super-sweet packaging — for example, a box in the shape of a tiny strawberry milk carton, or cute fruit designs to flavoured condoms.
Boy band signature moves
K-pop bands are known for their ‘cute concept’. The genre is marketed towards younger teenage girls, and K-pop stars win the hearts of thousands through being cute and innocent. Korean even has a word for this — aegyo, which encompasses affectionate or flirtatious expressions of cuteness such as a baby voice, cute expressions and phrases. K-pop stars show their love for their fans through the cutest hand gesture ever — the thumb and first finger are crossed to make a tiny heart.
Ever felt your computer keyboard is a bit too bland? In South Korea, you can bling it up with stickers designed for the express purpose of making your keys look cuter. If you need a little more motivation to get to work, add matching laptop case stickers.
Matching hair ornaments for couples
On date day, Koreans take matchy-matchy couple style to the max. But even if you’ve not coordinated your outfits, fear not! There’s a simple way to show the world who your boo is, with matching hair ornaments. You can buy these in tourist spots and youth hangouts all over Korea, and they come in a wide variety of forms. The most popular kind is a simple red heart.
South Korea is known as the home of face masks. A popular kind is the ‘animal’ face mask, which is printed with a cute animal face that you can put over your own — if you’ve ever wanted to be a panda, a cat or Puss in Boots from Shrek, these face masks allow you to do so. Who says skincare can’t be cute?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.