There’s no question that Korea is a country for art lovers. From internationally renowned museums to obscure independent galleries, there’s a space dedicated to just about every genre and medium of visual art. But there’s also a fascinating street art scene that’s quickly developing – previously shabby neighborhoods are getting facelifts in the form of colorful murals and art installations.
The past few years have seen artists of all ages and backgrounds targeting run-down, ramshackle neighborhoods with an aim to transform Korea’s preconceptions about these slums by embellishing their streets with colorful art works, on mailboxes, windowpanes, gates and even houses. Many of these areas are known as daldongnae (moon villages), a name derived from their hilltop locations, which were traditionally believed to provide a better view of the moon than the villages below.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
These vibrant, picturesque neighborhoods can be found throughout South Korea. Check out some of the most popular in the images below.
Korea’s moon villages were typically the sites of refugee squats following the Korean War in the 1950s.
Local artists have contributed their efforts in the hope of preserving historic districts threatened by rapid urban development.
Organizers of the initiatives have worked hard to integrate neighborhood residents into projects, with the aim of fostering a meaningful relationship between locals and tourists.
A steep walk up the slopes of Naskan in northern Seoul leads to Ihwa Mural Village, one of the country’s most famous moon villages.
In just a few years, Ihwa Mural Village has transformed from shanty town to tourist attraction.
Ihwa’s artworks range from paintings of flowers and fish cascading down steep stairways to giant portraits splashed across concrete underpasses.
Previously grungy walls have been brought to life with bright motifs and colorful murals.
Tongyeong Agenda 21 gathered people throughout the nation to paint murals on the walls of Dongpirang-gil Street in the southern city of Tongyeong in 2007.
Thanks to the participants’ paintings, Tongyeong’s Dongpirang Village became a new place, revitalized by the art.
Dongpirang Village’s view overlooking the sea of Gangguan Port adds to the aesthetic.
Tourists and locals (including the neighborhood dogs) all appreciate the art of Dongpirang Village.
Gamcheon Culture Village in Busan is made up of houses built in staircase-fashion on the foothills of a coastal mountain.
The murals of Gamcheon Culture Village tell the story of Busan and relay Korea’s traditional culture.
The many alleys cutting through Busan’s Gamcheon Culture Village are vibrantly decorated with murals and sculptures created by the residents.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.