A really good date takes a bit of planning and preparation, but not necessarily wads of cash. In fact, Seoul is home to a multitude of free and cheap attractions and activities that make for some great date options. Check out a few of them below. (And remember that just because you’re not bringing your wallet doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bring your A-game.)
Comprised of a jumbled web of narrow alleyways housing nearly 900 hanok buildings, the 600-year-old Bukchon Hanok Village is home to many of Seoul’s most cherished cultural assets, not to mention a collection of romantic cafés and restaurants. Spend an afternoon getting lost in this labyrinth of quaint streets, or, for a more in-depth look at the neighborhood, sign you and your date up for a free walking tour.
See a film.
Situated in the heart of Myeongdong, the Seoul Global Cultural Center is a space that promotes cultural exchange between residents and visitors. In addition to offering an array of programs and classes, the center hosts a number of free movie screenings. What’s more is that the screenings are occasionally followed by a discussion or Q&A session with popular names in the Korean film industry, making for a date that is anything but ordinary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Similarly, the Korean Film Archive’s Cinematheque KOFA screens a variety of films ranging from Korean classics to foreign arthouse films for free. Ticket reservations can be made on their website or purchased on-site.
Cinematheque KOFA, 400 World Cup Buk-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea, +82-2-3153 2001
Chances are, you (and your certain someone) have never seen a fountain spouting out of a bridge before, much less one illuminated by rainbow lights! While there are numerous bridges that cross the Han River, Banpo Bridge is without a doubt the most spectacular, and it’s not hard to see why. Bring your date here, and surprise him or her with this magical sight. Pair it with a few convenience store beers, and you’ve got yourself the perfect summer night date.
Bask in the majesty of Korea’s mountainous landscapes by taking a hike up Bukhansan, Seoul’s highest mountain. Although the various paths are by no means easy, it’s no secret that sweating releases pheromones, the body’s chemical attraction signals. Inject a bit of romance into your outdoor date with a picnic of kimbap (various ingredients rolled in rice) and makgeolli (milky rice wine), a cute gesture that will only set you back a couple thousand won.
Learn something new or enjoy a concert together on the cheap on “Culture Day.” On the last Wednesday of every month, participating galleries and museums offer free admission for permanent, touring, and in-house special exhibitions. Additionally, admission to cultural sites such as the royal palaces and entrance to special performances hosted by national art organizations such as the National Theater of Korea, National Gugak Center, Korea National Opera, and Korean National Ballet are either discounted or free of charge. For a complete list of participating venues, check out the Culture Day website.
There’s nothing more romantic than looking out on a glistening city of lights from a towering observation deck, and while there are plenty of places to make this rom-com-worthy date happen, most charge a hefty admission. But what many don’t realize, however, is that the 139-meter-high observatory at Seoul Dream Forest is both free and offers stunning panoramic views of the metropolis. The park’s Moon Reflecting Pond and Lawn Plaza are just as idyllic and make a great setting for an evening stroll.
Seoul Dream Forest, 173, Wolgye-ro, Gangbuk-gu, Seoul, South Korea, +82-2-2289-4001~5
Seoul is home to plenty of free art spaces, but Dongdaemun Design Plaza is a must-visit for design-loving couples. While some of the exhibitions require an admission fee, there are also a few free ones from time to time. Even if you don’t go into the structure itself, the Zaha Hadid-built complex is worth visiting if only to take in its magnificent, futuristic design. Don’t miss the field of LED roses, which provides a great background for a couple selfie.
For something a bit more unconventional, make your way to VR Plus Café. As South Korea’s very first virtual reality café, the high-tech establishment is dedicated to showcasing this new form of entertainment to the public, providing multiple virtual experiences that visitors can try out for free. Take your date on a wild ride on the VR coaster or try on the HTC Vive headset, which is currently rated one of the best in the industry. This is one fun date that won’t break the bank, nor will it soon be forgotten.
VR Plus Café, 825-22 Yeoksam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea, +82-2-1522-8999
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.