When you think of a Michelin-starred restaurant, you might think of Heston Blumenthal’s Fat Duck, or something involving Gordon Ramsey. What won’t come to mind is a tiny stall in the centre of Singapore that only sells one thing – chicken with rice or noodles.
Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle is a humble street-food stall in the Chinatown Complex, an open-air food court and Singapore’s largest street-hawker centre.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It is no more remarkable than any other stall in the area, with cooked chickens hanging from hooks and large pots steaming fragrantly on the stove. What sets it apart is the enormous queue that forms daily, with tourists and locals alike waiting three hours or more to taste Chan Hon Meng’s iconic S$2 (£1.07) chicken dish.
It’s the most affordable Michelan-starred meal you can get anywhere in the world.
Chan Hon Meng was awarded the star in 2016 and was so surprised at the accolade that he asked if the Michelin committee were joking when they invited him to the Michelin Guide Singapore Gala Dinner.
Chan Hon Meng works 17 hour days, cooking 180 chickens in his tiny kitchen to feed his hungry customers. The chicken is poached and then glazed with a dark soy sauce. You’ll receive a dollop of the same sauce on your plate, along with a spoonful of chilli sauce, a few green vegetables, some dried shrimp and slices of the tender, flavourful chicken. Once you’re clutching the disposable plate you’ve queued for hours to get in your hands, you can either perch on the plastic tables outside the stall to eat it or take it away with you.
The stall has become so popular that Chan Hon Meng has now opened a restaurant near the original location, with air conditioning and sit-down tables. There are even plans to open international locations. He’s partnered with a company called Hersing Culinary to potentially open Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle offshoots in locations including Thailand, Taiwan and the Philippines.
Chan told CNBC: ‘I would like to open a restaurant in every country to let everyone taste my soy sauce chicken.’
Hawker Chan’s food is so popular that he came to London in March 2018, to huge queues and acclaim. Culture Trip went to check out his famous soya sauce chicken and rice and were not disappointed.
It really is as good as they say it is. The chicken is beautifully glazed and shiny with soy sauce and is toothsome and juicy within. The rice is fragrant and sticky and is doused with the savoury sauce from the chicken. The cucumber is fresh and the beans on the side add textural variation and crunch to the plate. While it cost £6 rather than $2, you can’t quibble when you’re eating a Michelin starred-meal for less than a tenner.
Until Hawker Chan brings his chicken-cooking prowess around the world, however, you’ll have to travel to Singapore to part with your $2. You can be certain that it will be worth the money.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.