Packing your bags for your trip to Singapore? Here’s a rundown on essentials you need to pack and what to wear on your next holiday to this tropical country.
Singapore is blessed with hot summery weather all year round, with temperatures ranging from 26 to 34 degrees Celcius on average throughout the day – and it never really gets that much colder or hotter than that. This is a great time to pull out your clothes that are thin, lightweight and breathable as Singapore’s climate is very humid, so load up on deodorant and expect to perspire the moment you step out the door.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
But bring a jacket
Because of the tropical temperatures, Singaporeans often make a beeline indoors in the afternoon, which is why air-conditioned shopping malls are very popular throughout the island as a respite from the heat. Oddly enough, the malls often overcompensate for the heat and sometimes it gets positively chilly, particularly in movie theatres. Singapore is probably the only place where people put their jackets and scarves on as they head indoors instead of when they step outside.
Carry an umbrella
Even if it makes you feel like a middle-aged aunt, a portable lightweight umbrella is the best accessory to carry around with you in Singapore. It offers both protection from the intense midday sun and the sudden torrential tropical downpours that tend to happen without much warning.
Slather on the sunblock and throw on your sunglasses if you are outdoors for an extended period of time in the day – unwitting tourists are often caught off guard by the sheer intensity of the sun in Singapore and end up with painful sunburn souvenirs to take home.
Singapore is a cosmopolitan city, and dress style is generally urban, casual and practical – t-shirts, jeans, shorts, sneakers and even flipflops are commonly seen clothing just about anywhere you go. The only places that you will usually encounter dress codes are in the more upscale downtown restaurants and clubs where smart casual or cocktail styles are enforced, so pack at least one nice outfit and shoes if you want to enjoy the nightlife.
Fashion trends in Singapore are heavily influenced by a mix of American and European trends, as well as that of East Asian countries like Japan and Korea. You can easily find popular international brands in the shopping malls, from H&M, Forever 21, Zara and Uniqlo just to name a few, and there are an increasing number of Singaporean designers gaining momentum as well.
Have a modest cover up
If you are visiting religious institutions while touring Singapore, be sure to dress modestly with longer garments that hit below the knee and cover the shoulders. Shoes that can be easily removed will make your life easier when you enter these sanctums, and a shawl for ladies to cover up is always useful to have just in case.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.