When the sun goes down in Singapore, skyscrapers shine like rock stadiums, ties loosen, and pumping music brings people to life. Here is Culture Trip’s ultimate guide to the city’s electrifying nightlife.
Singapore’s vibrant nightlife scene is an unmissable experience. From award-winning cocktail bars to glitzy nightclubs and world-class music festivals, there is never a dull moment in the Lion City. Every night, bars keep the drinks flowing until late and raucous parties rock the city throughout the year – meaning there’s always reason to party in Singapore. Cheers!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What is Singapore’s nightlife scene like?
Singapore’s nightlife scene is as diverse as its 5.7 million population, with its after-hours establishments scattered across the city in different neighbourhoods (catering to different crowds). The city’s Central Business District is decidedly more glitzy than the hipster enclave of Haji Lane, for example.
Thanks to Singapore’s strict alcohol laws, parties here are a lot tamer when compared to Bangkok’s Khao San Road and Hong Kong’s Lan Kwai Fong. Don’t be surprised if you see a group of partygoers dressed to the nines, and another in shirt-and-jeans outfits dancing side by side in a club. Because of the hot and humid weather all year round, Singaporeans are not fussy over dressing – however, most clubs do enforce a smart-casual dress code. This means no shorts and flip-flops allowed.
How expensive is Singapore’s nightlife?
If you’re seeking buckets of vodka for under a dollar, you’ve come to the wrong place. Singapore’s nightlife is very pricey and there are many reports to confirm this. According to GoEuro’s Beer Price Index in 2016, a 330ml bottled beer costs about S$11.40 (USD$8.34) – which makes it the second most expensive city in Asia to consume beer. This is unsurprising really, as Singapore is the world’s most expensive city to live in (for the fifth year running!), according to Economist Intelligence Unit 2018. Fortunately, ladies can skip the costly prices on Wednesdays, aka Ladies’ Night, with many establishments such as CÉ LA VI and Bang Bang offering women free admission and complimentary alcoholic drinks.
What are Singapore’s laws surrounding drinking and partying?
Consumption of alcoholic drinks in public is prohibited from 10:30pm to 7:00am. Public areas include beaches, parks and void decks of public housing. Those caught drinking illegally will be fined up to S$1,000 (USD$729). Repeat offenders could be fined up to S$2,000 and imprisoned for up to three months – or both. Similarly, retail shops are not allowed to sell take-away alcohol from 10:30pm to 7:00am. Shops selling alcohol after the permitted hours can be fined up to S$10,000. Follow these laws and you’ll have a good time.
Atlas is a word-famous specialty gin bar located in the grand lobby of the Parkview Square Building. Boasting more than 1,000 different gin labels, Atlas is making waves in the nightlife industry with its unrivalled gin collection and jaw-dropping opulence. Featuring a 15-metre-high ceiling and a three-storey gin tower, this is a bar that loves to make a statement. Realtors estimate Atlas’ monthly rental to rack up a whopping US$52,700. In addition to this, the bar has been featured in Time’s inaugural 2018 World’s Greatest Places list, and ranked number four in Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2018. Yes, this is where you can rub shoulders with real-life Crazy Rich Asians.
Hidden within an inconspicuous basement in the Dhoby Ghaut vicinity, a trip to HopHeads is like a debaucherous college house party. This hectic underground bar is filled with Singapore’s energetic youths challenging each other to friendly games of foosball, darts and beer pong. Recommended dishes include Chilli Crab Pasta (S$17.90) and Sambal Chicken Pizza (S$19.90). Grab some beer towers and let the good times roll!
Perched atop Marina Bay Financial Centre Tower One, LeVeL33 is the world’s highest urban microbrewery. As its name implies, the 33rd-floor penthouse microbrewery boasts panoramic views of Singapore’s gorgeous skyline – an ideal spot to unwind after a long day of work or sightseeing. Order a Beer Tasting Paddle (S$23.33) and sample LeVeL33’s signature beers, namely 33.15 India Pale Ale, 33.3 Stout and 33.9 Wheat Beer. All these fresh craft beers – served unfiltered and unpasteurised – are brewed on-site. An absolute must-visit for craft beer lovers!
Open till 6:00am on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, Bang Bang at Pan Pacific Hotel Singapore is where you can party till the sun comes up. The wildly successful nightclub spans 5,000 square feet and is renowned for its over-the-top parties. Think epic laser shows, diamond bar cages and VIP bottle services. Ka-ching. Despite its roaring success, Bang Bang has made a bold move of being the first nightclub in Singapore to eliminate all cover charges in January 2018. Kudos to Bang Bang!
Commas might be one of Singapore’s newer clubs, but it faces no shortage of partygoers. Situated in the sky garden of Suntec City, the club is open on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays – and each day sees a distinctly different crowd. University students get to enjoy free entrance on Wednesday nights by simply flashing their student identification cards. And that’s not all! Other awesome Wednesday-only promotions include one-for-one bottles and glasses. On Fridays, Commas is popular with nearby office workers nights.Come Saturday night, the intimate club’s crowd evolves into a high-profile mix of nightlife tastemakers, affluent business travellers and regional socialites.
The turnover rate of nightlife establishments in Singapore is extremely high, but 27-year-old Zouk Singapore evidently remains unfazed by its rising competitors. In fact, Zouk was recently ranked as the World’s 3rd Best Club in DJ Mag’s 2018 Top 100 Clubs – and this impressive award is merely one of Zouk’s many accolades. Zouk has played host to hundreds of internationally acclaimed artistes such as Armin van Buuren, Hardwell, and late DJ Avicii. Having said that, partygoers can also anticipate spectacular performances by local Singaporean DJs.
Best events & parties
Globetrotting high-flyers and F1 enthusiasts are known to fly in to Singapore over a weekend just to catch the annual Singapore Grand Prix. Held at Marina Bay Street Circuit, the ticketed three-day sporting event is frankly more than just speeding cars but is an entertainment night unto itself. This year, the F1 Singapore entertainment line up includes big shots such as The Killers, Dua Lipa and Mandopop king Jay Chou.
For one weekend only, you can experience Singapore’s heritage buildings like never before. The yearly art event itself has attracted more than half a million attendees – a steady 800% growth since its inception in 2008. What you can expect: Whimsical light installations and marvellous local musical performances in the Bras Basah.Bugis precinct till midnight. Admission is free for all light exhibitions.
St. Jerome’s Laneway Festival is a paradise for hipsters with a penchant for subculture music, and this year marks its eighth edition in Singapore. The indie music festival, which takes plane in January, featured a total of 23 acts in its 2018 iteration. The lineup includes a brilliant mix of local, regional and international talent, including Wolf Alice, The War On Drugs and several up-and-coming homegrown bands.
Having made its debut in 2015, Ultra Singapore has attracted over 40,000 electronic dance music fans each year. The two-day EDM festival is held at Ultra Park, an outdoor venue just a stone’s throw away from the Marina Bay Sands hotel. There are three stages at Ultra Singapore: The Main Stage, the Live Stage, and the Resistance Stage. Afrojack, Kygo and Steve Angello are just a few of the stellar DJs that have spun at Ultra Singapore.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.