Bugis has been going through a massive resurgence over the last two decades. The various areas have seen all sorts of establishments setting up shop – it’s not the mass-market chains but the rather diminutive niche shops that one should pay particular attention to. One of the more popular hotspots are the various cafes that have popped up along its back alleys and streets, proffering some of the more unique beans and flavours to be seen in Singapore.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fika Swedish Cafe & Bistro
Besides IKEA, this is one of the other places you can get your Swedish fix if you ever need one. The design feels like being in someone’s home, with sofas and tables made like the ones in your dining room. The food is Swedish-inspired so expect the all-time favourite meatballs and the lamb stew while having tea served in a pot or any of their refreshing coffee offerings.
Located in the historical Kampong Glam neighbourhood, this cool multi-storied locale offers a very diverse range of services in a cafe that seems to resemble a concert more than dining place. This concept also is part of why they have live bands from time to time and besides their great coffee and affogatos, they offer a menu of delicious meals and a stocked up bar with both local and international offerings.
Working Title Cafe
Another one to blend the old and the new but giving a more rough and hip edge, like entering a friends bedroom or studio apartment. The food proportions are renowned for being huge and they serve some great coffee, which maintains the classic coffee taste that is popular with the locals, but with that precision and presentation that have become very popular with coffee culture. A great place to chill and hang out with a group or even alone.
Tolido’s Espresso Nook
Another great and affordable place to dine in, offering some good old-fashioned coffee on top of very interesting fusion dishes such as the pandan-flavoured pancakes. It has a really cosy atmosphere when you enter and it’s down-to-earth vibe makes it a great place to just sit back and enjoy. The great thing about their food and coffee is the detail that goes into it, using natural flavours and high-quality beans but doing so without being oppressively expensive.
A unique Mexican taqueria serving in a more urban and chic environment, Afterwit has been making waves since it started out as the usual generic cafe. Focusing on Mexican cuisine gave them an edge in an otherwise saturated dining market. And of course, the added combination of artisanal coffee that has been perfected from experience is a great bonus.
If you’re looking for something very different when it comes to your coffee or drinks, this place should be high on your list. Located in Arab Street, one of their popular choices is the Breakfast Bong, a huge creamy glass of avocado and espresso with an added vanilla flavour. The freshly-brewed coffee is perfect with their Western-inspired meals, which have surprisingly made fans out of detractors of specific dishes and meals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.