Hainanese Chicken Rice is one of Singapore’s biggest food treasures, and it’s not hard to understand why. It is layers of complex flavours brought out by years of training and a recipe that spans generations. We take a look at the the best Hainanese Chicken Rice that you can find in Singapore, so get that notebook ready!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chin Chin Eating House
A truly Hainanese eatery that has been around for more than 80 years, Chin Chin Eating House serves up some truly authentic Hainanese Chicken Rice, with an intense ginger dip to boot! Do give their other menu items a shot too, there is nothing much to complain about at this eatery along Purvis Street.
Nam Kee Chicken Rice Restaurant
Located at the discreet Upper Thomson Road is Nam Kee Chicken Rice, yet another authentic Hainanese restaurant that serves up a killer plate of chicken rice that is known for being tender and juicy — and best completed with a sweet-savoury sauce.
Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice
If a stall commands a long lunch hour queue, you know it’s good. Located in Maxwell Food Center (just opposite the Red Dot Traffic Museum), Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice is loved by both locals and tourists for its fragrant rice, firm chicken slices and delicious sides. The food here is so good that the stall owners even won a Chicken Rice face-off with Chef Gordon Ramsay in a recent competition.
Ming Kee Chicken Rice
Ming Kee Chicken Rice is no stranger to the locals residing in Bishan. The humble eatery serves up a no-nonsense Chicken Rice menu that also includes chicken gizzards and bean sprouts. To preserve the firmness and flavour of the chicken, the stall owners place them in a cold ice bath right to the point of serving, making this arguably one of the best plates of chicken rice in Singapore.
Kampong Chicken Rice Chicken House
Chicken House’s Kampung Chicken Rice has won over the hearts of many Singaporeans for it tender, juicy and fatty slices of steamed chicken. Served with an accompanying plate of fragrant rice, you can also order the standard sides like tofu or sprouts. If you’re in a hurry, you’d be happy to know that service is relatively fast here, even on weekdays.
Yishun 925 Hainanese Chicken Rice
Lauded for its tantalising plates of chicken rice, this local haunt also gets praise for its clean and comfortable air-conditioned restaurant. Step inside and be treated to some of the best chicken rice you’ve ever had or opt for a steamboat dinner instead.
Yeo Keng Nam Chicken Rice
Well hidden amongst a row of motor and car workshops, Yeo Keng Nam Chicken Rice is well worth the hunt once you take the first bite of its famed chicken rice. Cooked in small batches throughout the day to ensure freshness, fans of this place are in love with the succulent and juicy chicken slices that are cooked so well, they simply slide off the bone.
Hua Kee Chicken Rice
For a stall that has been around for more than 30 years, Hua Kee Chicken Rice seems to be under the radar amongst the locals. Even though it is located in the discreet estate off Redhill, Hua Kee manages to command a queue for at least 30 minutes during lunchtime, with some swearing that the chicken is so tender, it melts in your mouth. As the stall is only open four days a week, a trip to Hua Kee needs some careful planning (and patience).
Nan Xiang Chicken Rice
With over 30 years in the business, Nan Xiang Chicken Rice still remains as a nondescript stall in the streets of Whampoa. The rice here is said to be fried with garlic and oil before being steamed, a traditional (albeit troublesome) method to add flavour to the dish. This stall is also famous for its roast meats, which is always an exciting addition to a simple dish of chicken rice.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.