Singapore is a country well-known for its high level of healthcare but it has a comparatively low rate of organ donation compared to many other countries around the world. Today, all Singaporeans above the age of 21 are automatically part of a compulsory organ donation programme. We take a closer look at what this means for organ donation in Singapore.
From opt-in to opt-out
Organ donation in Singapore used to be on a voluntary opt-in basis via the Medical (Therapy, Education and Research) Act (MTERA), but the falling rates of living and deceased donors and increasing need for supply led to strong concerns by the government. Only 22 cadaveric kidney transplants took place in an 11-year period from 1970-1981, a rate of two transplants per year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To address the low kidney donor rates and to meet increasing demand, the Human Organ Transplant Act (HOTA) was implemented in 1987, changing an opt-in system to an opt-out one that presumes consent of kidney donation upon death unless otherwise stated.
In the following years from 1987 to 2004, the kidney transplant rate went up six-fold to 222 in total, or about 13 transplants per year.
Increasing the pool
Several key amendments were made to HOTA in the following years to widen the viable organ donation pool – in 2004 the act was expanded to include other organs besides the kidney. Muslims who were initially excluded from the act because of religious concerns were officially sanctioned by religious leaders to be included in the act in 2008, and the last major amendment in 2009 had the age limit of 60 years old removed.
In that same year, HOTA was also amended to include reimbursement for living transplant donors. There was much concern about the potential for illegal organ trading practices. In response to concerns, the penalty for these offences was increased tenfold.
HOTA today automatically applies to all Singaporean Citizens and Permanent Residents above the age of 21 and of sound mental condition, and covers four organs to be removed and transplanted upon death: the brain, heart, cornea, and kidney.
You get what you give
While HOTA assumes automatic consent from all Singaporeans, Singaporeans can still choose to opt-out of the programme by filling up and submitting a form to Singapore‘s National Organ Transplant Unit. But the catch of opting out is that should you need an organ in the future, you will be placed lower on the transplant waiting list as compared to someone else who did not opt-out of the programme.
For those looking to donate other organs and body parts like skin, bone and other tissues for science and research, this continues to be an opt-in process under MTERA.
While the number of organ donations has gone up since the introduction of HOTA and the various amendments to the act over the years, demand for organs continues to outstrip supply. The waiting list for a kidney in Singapore today numbers over 400 and on average takes about 9 years before a transplant becomes available. This gap could widen in the future as Singapore has the fourth highest incidence of kidney failure in the world, largely due to high numbers of people with diabetes and hypertension.
As of my last update in September 2021, Singapore had an opt-out organ donation scheme known as the Human Organ Transplant Act (HOTA). Please note that the situation might have changed since then, and it’s always best to verify the latest information from official sources.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.