It used to be a contest between Seoul’s Incheon Airport and Singapore’s Changi Airport; however, since 2013, Changi has consistently been voted the best airport in the world by the World Airport Awards. It’s no surprise that Changi wins this distinction, because it is the model in not just airport efficiency, but architecture, shopping, dining, and entertainment as well.
How To Travel Between The City And The Airport
The cheapest (and often quickest) method of getting to and from Changi is by using the MRT. Taking the EastWest (Green) MRT line costs $2.00 and takes about 30 minutes and although it requires one transfer, this transfer simply involves crossing over to the other side of a platform. The more expensive way to travel is via taxi, however, between the airport surcharges, the toll gates downtown and traffic this method will cost you $30 and will likely take even longer. When travelling from the airport to the city, there is also the $9 hotel shuttle which is a good in-between for cost and convenience, since it will deliver you directly to your hotel.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The most frustrating thing about being in the airport is standing in endless queues. Changi has taken considerable actions to mitigate this as much as possible. If you’re flying with the local low-cost carriers, you can print your boarding pass from a kiosk, get it stamped, and you’re on your way. Of course, if you’re dropping off luggage, this process will take a little longer. Another way that Changi has streamlined service is by moving the security scanners away from the immigration area and instead, each flight has its own gate where you go through security scanners.
Airlines request that passengers arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to their flight to avoid delays, so you may be thinking that Changi’s efficiency will leave you bored – but this is certainly not the case. The airport is full of comfortable lounge seating and for people who want to use their computers, every seat is equipped with its own charging point.
If you’d prefer to spend your last few hours in Singapore doing something relaxing, Changi airport has many options for your entertainment. For nature lovers, in Terminal 1 you’ll find an outdoor Cactus Garden, Terminal 2 is home to a Sunflower Garden, and Terminal 3 has an outdoor Butterfly Garden.
For families, there are many kid-friendly activities at Changi as well. In Terminal 1, you’ll find a rooftop swimming pool ($17 per person). Watching planes come in as you enjoy a leisurely dip will be an unforgettable way to end your Singapore vacation. In Terminal 3, you’ll find a 24-hour movie theatre screening the latest family-friendly blockbuster films and an epic slide that plunges riders down four storeys reaching speeds of up to six metres per second!
Changi has all of your standard eating options including Western fast food, international coffee chains, and more. There are sit-down restaurants offering a variety of cuisines and even a Hello Kitty Café in T3. For a taste of Singapore at hawker centre prices, visit the Straits Food Village in T2 or the Singapore Food Street in T3. Pro tip: as long as it’s before 10:30pm, you can avoid paying airport prices if you’d like to enjoy a cold one with your meal by picking up a few cans from the Cheers and Watson’s that are scattered around the airport.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.