One very useful and practical information about Singapore is how technologically adept it is especially in the area of mobile technology. The use of apps has become mainstream, from calling a taxi to ordering food or even selling and buying clothes. If you really want to live your life fully while in Singapore, it’s best to have these handy apps installed for added convenience and reliability.
Taxis: Grab, Ryde, ComfortDelGro
Singapore has enjoyed an explosion of taxi and ride-sharing apps. Even with the recent withdrawal of Uber, app-based taxi-hailing apps are still very popular. Grab (ios/Android) is now the juggernaut and a very popular everyday choice, mostly for its affordability. All fares are clearly displayed upfront. Ryde (ios/Android) is a close competitor that posits itself as a car-pooling app where payment is per person and could theoretically reduce costs if more people flag the same cab. ComfortDelGro (ios/Android) uses full-time taxi drivers so you’ll get extremely capable drivers who know where they are supposed to go. However, it will cost you more as there is a whole bunch of extra charges involved.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Public transit: Explore Singapore MRT Map, bus@sg and Citymapper
Explore Singapore MRT Map (ios/Android) has been rated as the best subway map of Singapore, immeasurably useful as it can get confusing with the number of lines and new ones constantly in construction. bus@sg (ios/Android) is essential when using the bus service, as it tells you when a bus is scheduled to arrive in real-time and additionally allows you to mark bus stops you use often to get your information quicker. Lastly, Citymapper (ios/Android) is a really powerful app that tells you a lot of key details in your journey around Singapore like which carriage is less packed and the various routes you can use to get to your destination. It even mentions any inconveniences like road jams or train breakdowns so you can prepare alternative routes in advance.
Food: Deliveroo, GrabFood, Burpple, Chope
When it comes to food, you will want to use both Deliveroo (ios/Android) and GrabFood (ios/Android) when making your orders. This will allow you to compare pricing, preferences in food choices, discounts and even distance and time taken to arrive. If you’re eating anywhere outside an office, house or hotel, remember to be specific with your details as there’s a chance the food may take longer to arrive while the driver searches for you. Chope (ios/Android) and Burpple (ios/Android) are perfect for the occasion when you want to dine in a restaurant and you can use both of them to reserve tables ahead of time. Both apps allow you to search for specific cuisines and locations to narrow down your choices.
Weather: Weather@SG, MyEnv
Weather@SG (ios/Android) has some key integral features that makes it a necessity for your device. It gives weather forecasts and weather observations in advance and in real-time as well, making sure you are always prepared. The most important feature is how it warns you of oncoming hazards such as lightning or heavy rain, knowledge that’s quite useful in this tropical nation. MyENV (ios/Android) is intriguing as not only does it give you weather information, it also tells you the temperature and air quality as well, which can be important when there’s a rare occurrence of haze. It also informs you of degree clusters and since the app is made by the National Environmental Agency, you can even search for hawker centres in various parts of Singapore!
Shopping: Shopee, Zalora, Lazada
This might interest you but a large chunk of shopping in Singapore is done online and these three apps should be your go-to when you feel too lazy to brave public transport or have no desire to face the fickle weather. Shopee (ios/Android) has made enormous waves for offering some great deals and discounts on a whole bunch of diverse goods, from trendy clothes to electronic devices, making it akin to a digital marketplace. Zalora (ios/Android) focuses solely on fashion and offers a massive range of choices from various brands. Lazada (ios/Android) is a platform with a fairly large amount of goods to pick from and, like Shopee, has options for free deliveries and different kinds of payment methods.
Entertainment: Popcorn, Culture Trip
Popcorn (ios/Android) is an app that allows you to book movie tickets and check what’s showing at local theatres. Culture Trip (ios/Android) is jam-packed with information and guides that allow you to get the most out of your trip. It covers the globe and can be integral in finding the best spots whether it’s related to food, culture, architecture, shopping or even hair stylists and barbers!
Miscellaneous: NLB Mobile, LalaMove, DBS PayLah!
NLB Mobile (ios/Android) is a real nifty app by the National Library Board (NLB) as it brings the world of books to your app by allowing you to borrow ebooks to read, reserve books in advance, and even borrow physical copies by using the app to scan the barcode. Lalamove (ios/Android) is specifically for hiring on-demand vans or large vehicles for the time you need to move or buy new furniture. You can pick the vehicle shape and size, the number of movers you need, and it’ll calculate the cost before you book. Finally, DBS PayLah! (ios/Android) is an app by one of the biggest banks in Singapore that functions as a mobile wallet where you can transfer funds to others via mobile numbers. You can pay bills, ask for the return of the money you loaned your mate, and even make online purchases or donate to charities if you’re so inclined.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.