One of Pakistan’s most cosmopolitan cities, cultured and business-minded Karachi provides a glimpse into modern Pakistan. The city’s mix of Middle Eastern, Asian and Western influences defines its increasingly sophisticated restaurant scene. From traditional to international, here’s an updated guide to Karachi’s best cultural restaurants. Click here to read the original article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Widely agreed upon to be the ‘best bistro in Karachi’, Café Flo offers fine French dining in an elegant setting. Founded in the early 1990s by the daughter of a French countess, this bistro-style restaurant has since become a Karachi institution. The menu features classic continental dishes like French onion soup, crepes, foie gras, steak dijonnaise, and Lobster Thermidor, along with more creative dishes. Tucked amidst the busy streets of Karachi, the restaurant’s outdoor seating area is particularly lovely. Café Flo also offers a much-loved bunch featuring dishes like potato gratin, eggs Benedict, and Lox bagels with capers and salmon.
Lal Qila Restaurant Karachi
Lal Qila Restaurant Karachi is a buffet-style restaurant inspired by the cuisine of the Mughal Era. Consistent with the royal theme, the restaurant is designed to look like a castle, with the main seating area set outside under awnings which provide refreshing shade. Diners can also enjoy their meals indoors, where there’s a special play area for children. The buffet offers a selection of kababs, tandoori, tikka, nihari salads, and other traditional Pakistani dishes, and the food offered at the buffet is changed regularly. The restaurant also frequently hosts special events and musical performances which add to its already lively atmosphere.
Kolachi is a relatively new seaside restaurant that is quickly becoming a favorite on the city’s food scene. The menu takes advantage of the nearby Arabian Sea to create hearty seafood platters and grilled fish dishes. Aside from seafood, the menu offers a mix of Lebanese, Chinese, Pakistani, and BBQ options. And while the food is excellent, but the seaside views are the restaurant’s main draw. With wooden accents and carefully placed lighting, this restaurant is particularly atmospheric at night when the Karachi shore is illuminated.
Opened in 1999, Okra is known as one of the city’s most stylish restaurants and the best place to enjoy exceptional Mediterranean cuisine. The setting is simple and intimate, encouraging diners to take their time and savor their meals. Committed to using seasonal ingredients, Okra’s menu changes regularly with typical dishes including lamb shank with saffron risotto, and red snapper with black olive and sun-dried tomato salsa. The restaurant is also known for its excellent selection of breads, with a separate bread menu devoted to rye walnut baguettes, croissants, and olive tapenade breads.
Oishi Sushi is slowly turning Karachi locals into Japanese food fans with its excellent selection of sushi and sashimi. The restaurant uses only high-quality imported fish, which diners can watch the chefs expertly prepare at the restaurant’s sushi bar. In addition to Japanese staples like yakitori and gyoza, the menu offers a few Korean and Chinese dishes, including a Korean grill which is brought to the table. The restaurant’s decor draws inspiration from the menu, with Japanese artwork, warm wooden accents and colorful paper lanterns.
Fuchsia offers a contemporary twist on traditional Thai cuisine in an elegant setting. The restaurant’s innovative menu reflects head chef Kelvin Loke’s experience working alongside several Michelin-starred masters. The dishes are served in small tapas portions, allowing diners to share many plates; menu highlights include stir-fried squid seasoned with curry and coriander leaf, and flame-grilled, soya-marinated beef and chili dip with roasted ground rice. The restaurant’s deep crimson-colored decor reflects the rich flavors of its dishes, all of which are prepared using traditional methods including homemade sauces and pastes.
La Mamma serves some of Karachi’s best Italian cuisine, with a menu that highlights both old world and contemporary Italian flavors. The restaurant’s large buffet offers a choice of salads, pastas, pizza, fish, meat, and vegetarian options, or meals can be ordered a la carte from the menu. Try the osso bucco d’agnello, traditional lamb shank served with spaghetti aglio, or one of the made-to-order pizzas which are baked in a brick pizza oven which creates a crispy, thin crust. Located in the Sheraton Hotel, the restaurant offers seating in comfortable booths, more formal tables or at the bar.
Biryani of the Seas
Biryani of the Seas is a popular eatery that specializes in simple yet delicious seafood dishes. This laid-back roadside restaurant offers indoor and outdoor seating, but the best spot to eat is outside, enjoying your meal along with lively crowds of locals and watching the street traffic. The restaurant’s extensive menu changes regularly, with typical dishes including biryani, dossa, fried and BBQ seafood, and even a few international dishes like pizza and burgers. The Chinese-style seafood dishes, such as prawn chow mein and fish schezuan, are particular favorites among regulars.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.