From the epic Himalayas to the subtropical Chitwan National Park, Nepal is the destination for adventure. But while you’ll be spending many nights in homestays and teahouses on the trekking circuits, there are also plenty of upscale hotels if you want a bit of TLC and luxury. From mountaintop lodges to a Taj safari, here are the best.
Experience the best of Nepal, including Kathmandu, Pokhara, Nuwakot and Sarangkot, on Culture Trip’s specially curated 11-day Nepal trip, led by our Local Insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is one for the time travellers – a luxury lodge within what can only be described as a Jurassic tropical park. There are no dinosaurs here, but there are rare plants and lots of local fauna. It’s all located on a quiet mountaintop just 15 minutes from the centre of Pokhara, with views of the Annapurna mountains in one direction and the city in the other.
Made for the luxury-loving culture vultures, this high-end hotel combines a rural location with upscale amenities. Found in Rupakot, a small, secluded village one hour from Pokhara, you can spend your day hiking from one temple to the next before watching the sunset from the mountainside infinity pools (yes, plural). The resort offers cultural tours to local farms (where it also sources ingredients for the restaurant), as well as yoga, meditation and calming mountain views.
The Pavilions Himalayas in Pokhara is the ideal choice for the eco-conscious luxury traveller looking to connect with nature. Sitting amid the foothills of the Annapurna mountains, the resort is part of an organic farm that provides renewable energy, plus fresh fruit and vegetables to the hotel. There are 14 luxury villas set around the farm, but head to the nearby lakeside to enjoy the comforts of eight glamping tents.
There are few better places to rest sore legs after a long trek in the Himalayas than Tiger Mountain Pokhara Lodge. Built around a mountaintop overlooking the Pokhara Valley, this resort offers secluded luxury cottages with a layout inspired by traditional Nepali villages. Guests enjoy fresh Nepali food with homegrown ingredients, as well as mountain views from the outdoor swimming pool.
Although travellers are often drawn to Nepal for its skyscraping peaks, many stay for the subtropical forests of Chitwan National Park. To fully experience the jungle and wildlife, your best bet is to stay at Meghauli Serai, a Taj safari offering five-star comfort in the wild. With 16 luxury villas built along the Rapti River, you could be in with a chance to glimpse a rare one-horned rhino, as this is the primary habitat of a group of them. Join guided tours into the forest or bird-watching trips along the river before a gourmet meal cooked around an open campfire.
One for trekkers, this local teahouse offers expansive views of the Annapurna Massif from its rocky perch above the village of Ghandruk. At almost 2,000m (6,562ft) on the Annapurna Circuit, it’s a challenge if you make it this far. The lodge has 18 ensuite rooms offering more comfort than your average homestay. There’s also a spacious garden providing a relaxing after-trek area in which to unwind.
Inspired by traditional Chitwan village life, this boutique jungle camp is an ideal base from which to explore nature and culture. Its jungle lodges, styled on the longhouses you’ll see in the surrounding villages, are constructed from locally sourced materials using centuries-old architectural know-how. And if you want to get even closer to the wildlife of Chitwan National Park, Tigertops has nine glamping-style jungle safari tents in the forest.
If you’re looking for pampering and luxury after a stint on the high-altitude Annapurna Circuit, the Shangri-La Villa Resort in Pokhara valley is the hotel for you. Set away from the city and surrounded by mountain peaks, you can take a dip in the outdoor swimming pool and gaze up at the very mountains you just conquered. Enjoy a relaxing spa session (a foot massage might go down well), before dining at Caravanserai, which offers international cuisine to famished trekkers.
Just 32km (20mi) from Kathmandu, Club Himalaya by Ace Hotels, in Nagarkot, is your escape from the capital. Sitting on a secluded hilltop 2,000m (6,562ft) above sea level, it offers views across the mountains from your balcony, where you can watch the clouds and mist roll in. There’s a heated indoor pool where you can retreat from the chilly climate, or embrace the wild with a hike or mountain bike session along the trails around Nagarkot.
These private riverside cottages offer a wilderness experience with a level of luxury you wouldn’t expect in the middle of a national park. Sitting on the banks of the Rapti River, this is the perfect place if you’re a luxury traveller wanting to immerse yourself in the wilds of Chitwan. Take a boat safari along the river in search of elephants and rhinos, or loll about in the infinity pool and wait for the wildlife to come to you. You can visit with Culture Trip as part of our exclusive small-group Nepal adventure.
For more options, discover our guide to the best boutique hotels in Pokhara and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.