Looking for an outdoorsy way to reach the banks of Inle Lake or a rugged new rock formation to edge? The “Golden Land” has it all. From the northernmost village of Putao to the southernmost reaches of the Mergui Archipelago, here’s Myanmar’s ultimate adventure guide for the ultimately adventurous traveler.
Reach for the peaks of Myanmar’s northern stretches
Hiking the Himalayan Landscape of Putao
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The draw of Putao in Kachin State is its pure elusiveness. Very few travelers have experienced this spectacularly jagged Himalayan landscape. Hiking is what brings most tourists here. However, trekking near this northernmost settlement in Myanmar is much more expensive and challenging than other routes.
Usual hikes take two to four days and remain relatively close to Putao. Anticipate paying up to approximately US$200 per day, which covers services like porters, meals and accommodation. Some much longer journeys to higher peaks along the Indian border (lasting up to two weeks) can be organized.
Anyone other than a professional mountaineer need not apply to climb nearby Hkakabo Razi – thought to be Southeast Asia’s highest mountain!
Scenic Whitewater Rafting in Kachin State
Whitewater rafting is a newcomer to Myanmar’s more extreme excursions. Try a one-day rafting and trekking combo just outside of Putao for approximately US$100 per person. Gorgeous sections of the Mula Creek and Malikha River can be explored. Rapids in Kachin State are mostly for intermediate rafters and multi-day trips are possible.
At times the government of Myanmar may not permit foreigners to hike or raft in areas of Kachin State. Plan ahead and ensure access will be allowed.
Bike around the ancient city of Bagan
Taking an electric scooter to speed by Bagan’s templed terrain might be faster, but biking around Myanmar’s most famous ancient city is the more untrammeled approach to getting intimate with its history. It’s also cheaper. Bicycles can be rented for less than US$5 a day from most hotels or guesthouses.
Mornings and before sunset are the best times to pedal—both for cooler temperatures and marvelously lit views that are iconically Bagan. The condition of the bikes isn’t always ideal, and a helmet might be an additional small fee. But, hey, cheers to adventure!
To see any place from the back of a bike is one of the best ways to get to know it, and this is especially true for Bagan. Plus, there’s no need to worry about a battery running out in the middle of, well, seemingly nowhere.
Trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake in Shan State
Trekking from Kalaw to Inle Lake is a popular way to experience the agricultural side of Shan State. Extraordinarily breathtaking scenery will join for the entire trip. Hikes usually take three days to complete and there are various pathways that cut through fields filled with anything from rice to tea. The steepest part of the journey is right outside of Kalaw.
Solo or group trips can be arranged with local guides who will take care of reserving basic accommodation in homestays or temples, as well as food and baggage transport. The cost per person is approximately US$50 a day.
The busy season for hiking between Kalaw and Inle is during Myanmar’s winter months (November to February). Expect to share the trails and temple floors with many other adventurers during this time.
Ascend new heights in Hpa-An, Myanmar
The Myanmar Rock Community is bolting uncharted territory in Myanmar—rock climbing. It’s a group of climbing enthusiasts from all over the world with a mission to expand Myanmar’s rock climbing scene. Areas just outside of Mandalay and Hpa-An are currently the hotspots for scaling, but the sky’s the limit for mapping out new crags across the country.
Picturesque Hpa-An promises a variety of rock climbing routes between moderate and expert-level (5.9 to 5.12). One of the main sites, approximately 10 miles out of the city, is located near Bayin Nyi Cave. Bayin Nyi is a Buddhist temple complex built on a karst formation—Hpa-An’s signature look.
It’s possible to get to Bayin Nyi by taking local transport, but renting a motorbike for about US$10 a day is recommended. Bayin Nyi becomes somewhat of an island in the rainy season. For some added fun, try getting there by boat for approximately US$1.
Keeping climbs open in Myanmar depends on continuing good relationships with locals and especially monks. Be respectful. Don’t mess with religious structures. Additionally, the Myanmar Rock Community relies heavily on generous donations. Consider supporting the crux of this kind of adventure.
Discover Myanmar’s Mergui Archipelago—the world’s dreamiest of destinations
Spend afternoons bobbing about hundreds of unexplored islands. Dive into incredibly diverse coral reefs. Swim with astonishing underwater life. See what’s so beautifully enchanting about Myanmar’s Mergui Archipelago. Go indulgent and book a sailing or a diving tour.
Average all-inclusive cruises cost well over US$2,000 for seven to nine days at sea. Even operators offering only dive trips for the same duration of time charge as much as US$1,500—meals and accommodation included.
The only way to truly discover this longed-for adventure of a lifetime is to save up. The Mergui Archipelago is an unforgettable opportunity worth the splurge.
Mergui Princess, Yangon, Myanmar, +95 942 110 7472
After spending hours lounging Andaman seaside, hop on a sea kayak, go hiking, island-hop or go snorkeling. This private island and resort combo mixes the comforts of modernity with the lavishness of paradise. Nyaung Oo Phee Island is one of several tropical getaways off Myanmar’s southernmost coastline. Guests can stay in bungalow-style tents surrounded by bright blue hues of pristine ocean. Make this an adventuresome yet relaxing last stop on your ultimate adventure trip in Myanmar!
Victoria Cliff Resort, Nyaung Oo Phee, Myanmar, +95 59 51 657
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.