South Florida may be a blissful haven with sparkling beaches and palm tree-lined avenues, but beneath the busy tourist shops and bustling nightlife, there are creepy haunted houses and graveyards with lingering spirits of the past. Get your scare on with any of these ghost tours.
Follow historian Dr. Paul George through one of Miami’s oldest cemeteries located in Downtown. The spooky history tour includes a stroll through the eerie gravestones of Miami’s founders, such as Julia Tuttle; the resting place of Jack Tigertail, the Native American whose murder was never solved; and a tomb of a woman buried in the concrete. Attire can be casual or costumed. The tour takes place on October 27th from 5:30–9:00 pm.
Admission: $30, $10 ages 10 and under
Home to the late Charles Deering, an American businessman and art collector who settled in South Florida, the Deering Estate offers a ghost tour of his haunted estate. The Historic Ghost Stories Tour includes an evening walk through the sprawling waterfront property as a guide tells stories of previous ghost sightings.
A scarier tour, the Deering Estate Spookover, is available in the later hours of the night for those who want an overnight scare. Real paranormal investigators who communicate with spirits haunting the property will accompany the tour. Check their website for more information on both excursions.
Deering Estate, 16701 SW 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL, USA, +1 305 235 1668, ext. 233
The Ghost Tour of Coconut Grove
The lush green neighborhood of Coconut Grove, with its surrounding tropical jungle and Banyan trees, looks charming in the daytime, but the area is a hotbed for spirits. This ghost tour walks visitors through the city’s past stories, from the oldest marked grave in the area to old inns that are known for their paranormal activity. The tour covers areas visited by ancient indigenous peoples, a playhouse haunted by phantoms and other eerie buildings haunted by soldiers. Check their website for more information.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Head to Fort Lauderdale for a ghost tour of Broward County’s oldest home. Perched along the banks of the New River, the 1900s Victorian-style Stranahan House is hosting the Spirits of Stranahan House Tour, where visitors can learn about those who passed away at the home. They may even catch sightings of the home’s past resident and one of Fort Lauderdale’s founding fathers, Mr. Stranahan. Guests will also meet with the Grave Keeper to hear tales of other haunted sites in the area. The tour begins at 7:00 pm on October 27th, 28th, 29th, and 30th.
Admission: $25 per person
Reservation Required, Call +1 954 524 4736
Fort Lauderdale Ghost Tour
Stroll through the two-hour-long tour of Downtown Fort Lauderdale, where visitors will listen to tales about ghost encounters at mentioned historical landmarks. Take a short boat ride on the New River to learn about the spirits haunting the coastline while listening to EVPs (electronic voice phenomena) of real-life paranormal investigations. Don’t miss trying to make contact with the ghosts in the Historic District!
Ghosts and Gravestones Tour in Key West
Get ready for a hair-raising tour of the ghosts and gravestones in Key West. The tour—guaranteed to frighten or get your money back—begins aboard a trolley riding through the streets of the historic Old Town. Pass by the African Slave Cemetery (the site of the final resting place of 15 slaves), and walk through a fort haunted by the paranormal activity of those who died from yellow fever. The tour also follows a visit to the East Martello Fort haunted by Robert the Doll. The infamous doll was a gift to a young Gene Otto from a family maid who experimented with Voodoo—people heard voices, and things went missing when the doll was around. The tour runs for 1.5 hours, rain or shine, so be prepared with comfortable shoes if it’s a stormy night.
(Not suitable for children 13 years and under)
Admission: $35.70 in person, $32.13 online
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.