Malaysia is well known for the vibrant mix of cuisines and eateries in the country. The most quintessential Malaysian dining experience would be at a mamak, where you find large crowds of people from dusk till dawn. Here are the 10 best mamaks in Petaling Jaya.
You can find almost every type of food in Malaysia – from cheap street eats to luxurious fine dining meals; Chinese, Indian and Malay dishes to hearty European fare. With amazing food at the snap of your fingertips, your visit to Malaysia is incomplete without a meal at a mamak. Petaling Jaya, a major township right outside Kuala Lumpur, has some of the best eateries in town. Eat like a local at these 10 best mamaks in Petaling Jaya.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With spice-laden curries and aromatic biryani rice, the food at Kayu hits all the right spots. Nasi kandar, one of Penang’s most famous dishes, remains the highlight of the menu. But the other dishes here – including nasi biryani, mee goreng and various types of rotis – are equally as good. Open 24 hours, you can grab a bite whenever it strikes your fancy.
Plastics tables and chairs neatly line up in the alleyway where Malaysians from all over KL’s townships gather for a taste of Bumbung’s nasi lemak. These outdoor seats quickly fill up with customers hungry for this hearty Malaysian classic. Crispy fried chicken and coconut rice is generously ladled with spicy-sweet sambal, keeping customers coming back for more.
Count yourself lucky if you’re able to get a seat immediately at Murni during peak hours. This popular mamak restaurant offers an extensive menu of classic mamak fare and creative fusion dishes, coming in large portions that are well worth your penny. Some of the highlights here include naan mozzarella Beckham special, roti Beckham, spaghetti meletup and the finger-licking ‘Lord of the Wings’.
Syed Bistro has expanded its operations in Malaysia since its humble beginnings in the early 1900s in Penang. Syed offers popular local dishes and a selection of Western food. A lot of effort is put into creating the dishes, with hours spent on marinating and slow-cooking. If you are looking for a meal to remember, order the mutton nasi biryani or murtabak.
Get your morning going with a hearty breakfast at this modern day kopitiam. Ali, Muthu & Ah Hock embodies everything that is Malaysian with a menu that showcases the country’s many cultures. You will find popular local comfort food here, including nasi lemak, mee goreng and char kuey teow. Prices are slightly higher than the neighbourhood kopitiam, but the food is definitely worth it.
Malaysians just love their nasi kandar joints, and Bestari is top of the list. Like many nasi kandar eateries in town, the sprawling display of curries and gravies is enough to get your tummy rumbling. Enjoy it like the locals do by dousing your rice with these curries (seriously, don’t be shy about it). The house specialty, Indomee burger noodle, is also a must-try.
Switch out your lattes and cappuccinos for a cup of teh tarik or kopi-o at Teh Tarik Place. They do teh tarik well here – pulled to perfection with frothy foam on top and served at the right temperature. True to the nature of a mamak, you will find delectable local bites here including nasi lemak, nasi kerabu, mee goreng and roti canai.
With its roots in the northern state of Kedah, it’s all about mee goreng and mee rebus at Gulam Mee. Different from the usual mee goreng at mamaks, the dish here is fried with a thick peanut sauce and paired with beef slices. If you are still feeling peckish, there are also several food stalls around offering nasi lemak, satay and ikan bakar.
One of the most popular nasi kandar chains in Malaysia, Pelita started out as a small coffee shop in Penang back in 1995. With its growing popularity, Pelita started to expand by bringing its famous kuah campur down south. With a vast selection of curries and gravies including ketam masala, kambing ros, ayam kurma and chicken curry, it’s a feast fit for a king.
Get ready to have your fingers covered in curry at Sri Ganapathi Mess, one of Petaling Jaya’s hidden banana leaf gems.Tucked away in a bungalow, you will find the aromatic smells of curry and a healthy crowd revelling away. Many banana leaf connoisseurs have this place top of their list for the free re-fillable rice, vegetables and papadums.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.