Few islands offer such serenity as Perhentian Kecil and Besar in northeast Malaysia. Culture Trip explores how you can spend 48 hours in the Perhentian Islands to experience their isolated beaches, tropical fish and go swimming with turtles.
Malaysia’s Perhentian Islands attract few visitors compared to Langkawi. Both Kecil and Besar (Small and Big) Perhentian provide a dose of paradise with their dazzling white sand and clear waters. Here’s how to spend 48 hours in the Perhentian Islands for beaches, jungle trails and sunset cocktails.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Day One: Tropical beaches and marine life
Day one of your 48 hours in the Perhentian Islands involves experiencing the best of Perhentian Kecil. Apart from exploring the beaches and snorkelling, the island offers little else other than relaxing. There are two ways to get around – either walk or use the water taxis. Most travellers use a combination of both. We recommend booking accommodation at Long Beach where you’ll find hostels, guesthouses and resorts to suit your budget.
Morning: The best of Perhentian Kecil’s beaches
Start early and get down to the beach along Kecil’s northern shore. Thick jungle and gentle waves frame the soft sand on both Long Beach and Coral Bay. Stroll, sunbathe or go for a quick jog. Pack the camera and take some photos of Malaysia’s best example of paradise. A jungle trail connects Long Beach and Coral Bay. Pro Tip: Macaques live in the foliage and wouldn’t think twice about snatching your bags. Leave nothing unattended, not even for a minute!
Afternoon: Explore the world beneath the waves
The Perhentian Islands have a reputation for five-star diving and snorkelling. Crystal clear water and an explosion of marine life creates the ideal conditions to get beneath the waves. If you’re PADI-certified, book a tour from one of the beachside dive schools and explore deeper waters. Snorkellers can see the coral reefs in Long Beach before making their way to Turtle Bay or D’Lagoon. Most hostels and guesthouses hire out equipment. Pro Tip: Don’t underestimate the strength of the tropical sun. Snorkel in a t-shirt and use waterproof sunscreen.
Evening: Sunset on the beach
If you have the energy, follow some of the jungle trails to vantage points and viewing platforms. Speak to the staff at your accommodation for suggestions. Or head back to Coral Bay for the sunset. As an alternative, negotiate a price with the water taxis to take you out into the South China Sea. Witnessing nature’s spectacular show from the gentle water truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Night: Hit Kecil’s beachside bars
The Perhentian Islands doesn’t have an active nightlife and it can be challenging (and expensive) to get a drink. Our favourite bars line Kecil’s Long Beach. Most have similar prices with sociable atmospheres catering towards backpackers and diving students. But be prepared for the high prices of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Pro tip: If you’re on a tight budget and want a tipple, it might be cheaper to bring your own. Alcohol tends to be cheaper in other parts of Malaysia.
Day Two: Perhentian Besar, turtles and sunset cocktails
The second part of our 48 hours in the Perhentian Islands itinerary involves exploring Kecil’s sister. Perhentian Besar, or Big Perhentian in English, attracts local families and honeymooners. Spend the morning searching for and swimming with turtles before taking advantage of Besar’s empty beaches.
Morning: Sunrise and turtle spotting
If you’re an early riser, witnessing the sunrise (around 7am) over Long Beach is a magical experience. After breakfast, negotiate a price with a water taxi for a trip to Turtle Sanctuary Beach on Besar’s northern coastline. Green and Hawksbill turtles nest in the sand and snorkellers often see adults swimming on the surface. Bring equipment and expect to spend a few hours in relative isolation.
Afternoon and Evening: Socialising and Besar’s southern beaches
For a light lunch, head to Belinda Café. Either walk along the beach for 20 minutes or flag down a water taxi. The coffee shop near the beach serves a mixture of Asian-style food, roti and cakes. After a morning of exploring the island, it’s time to put your feet up and soak up the views. Grab an iced-coffee, order a snack and enjoy. If you’re feeling sociable, strike a conversation with Belinda’s friendly staff. After relaxing, check out some of Perhentian Besar’s other beaches along the southern coast.
Night: Sunset cocktails at a classy resort
What can be a better way to end your 48 hours in the Perhentian Islands than enjoying sunset cocktails? We recommend Ombak Café inside the Ombak Resort on Perhentian Kecil’s western coast. Take a water taxi from Besar directly to the resort. The stylish café/restaurant provides an outdoor terrace overlooking the sea. While the drinks might be on the pricey side, it’s worth the extra cost for the experience. Order a cocktail and dinner and reflect on your action-packed 48 hours in the Perhentian Islands.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.