Locals and expats share the fun and joy together on Christmas – friends and family indulge with Christmas food, gift exchanges and drinks. Malaysia doesn’t have a ‘white Christmas’, but this festive season is filled with warmth, cheers and excitement. Here’s how to celebrate Christmas in Malaysia.
Christmas mass at churches
Experience the morning and/or night Christmas mass at the local churches. Learn the meaning of Christmas celebrated by Christians. Different churches have their own programme, including prayers, that give devotees a memorable Christmas. Be amazed by the carol group and live music band singing Christmas songs followed by a play inspired by stories and real-life Christmas experience. The event ends with delicious Christmas dishes to fill up your tummy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eat Christmas delicacies
Christmas is the most wonderful time to savour mouthwatering delights. Malaysians normally eat medium portions of various Christmas delicacies, including roast meat (turkey, chicken or lamb), mashed potatoes, salads, assorted steamed vegetables, with desserts and drinks. They also add in a few Malaysian dishes such as curries and satay (skewered meat grilled over charcoal) to delight their local palate. Fruit cakes (chopped candied fruits and nuts soaked in brandy) and mince pies (mix of dried fruits and spices) are mostly eaten as desserts during Christmas.
Taking photos of Christmas decorations at shopping malls
Every Christmas, major shopping malls are decorated with glittery lights, shining balls and stars and shimmery streamers. The largest Christmas trees are placed in the center of shopping malls surrounded by decorations such as wooden houses and soldiers, snow globes, toys and others based on their unique themes. You will be taken into the Christmas Wonderland as you walk into the shopping malls. We recommend checking out the vibrant decorations as Midvalley Megamall, Pavilion, One Utama and Suria KLCC.
Gift-shopping at Christmas bazaars
Thinking what memorable gifts to give to friends and families? How about shopping at Christmas bazaars? Vendors and artisans sell their handcrafted works – clothing, greeting cards, scented candles, mini figurines, bookmarks and many more. Browse through the stalls and be mesmerized by the detailed Christmas crafts. Have a chat with the local vendors and artisans about Christmas and their works. In between, have some homemade baked goods, like brownies and gingerbread cookies.
Watch live Christmas performances
Entertain yourself by watching live Christmas showcases, mostly held in shopping malls and hotels. Carol groups, live music bands, and stage performers bring in the Christmas joy and spirit to the audiences. Some performers may invite you to join in the fun. For something different, watch live music and theatre concerts at the Theatre Lounge Café. Dance and sing along to your favourite Christmas classics and contemporary hits while watching the performances.
Want to be in the winter wonderland? Put on your ice-skating shoes and glide gracefully on ice at Malaysia’s indoor ice-skating rinks. It’s one of the most popular recreational activities in the area. Show off your ice-skating moves or just have fun gliding around on the rinks. We recommend ice-skating at Royale Chulan Damansara and Sunway Pyramid Ice. The price for both adults and children is between RM $20 – RM $28 (USD $5 – USD $7).
Tropical islands getaway
Enjoy your Christmas by having a peaceful tropical getaway at Malaysia’s islands of sandy beaches and tranquil seas. Escape from the busy city and go scuba diving, island hopping or jungle hiking on the islands. The island resorts provide wonderful Christmas experience to beach-goers including delicious food and live performances. Soak in the sun and sea breeze at Langkawi and Perhentian Islands.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.