Langkawi, the picture-perfect archipelago off the coast of Penang, Malaysia, has all that you need for your next island getaway: pristine white-sand beaches, protected mangroves, crystal-clear waters, tiered waterfalls and lively little towns with varied dining scenes. Here are the best places to stay on the Jewel of Kedah – from inviting hostels to luxury resorts – bookable on Culture Trip.
Situated in a jungle along a rocky strip of coastline, the Ritz-Carlton, Langkawi, feels as if it’s located at the end of the road – in a good way. Accommodation ranges from spacious rooms to private pool-equipped villas, but you may find yourself spending much of your stay in the communal areas, which include three outdoor swimming pools.
A youthful-feeling hotel on a lesser-known beach, the Aloft is the perfect place to get a fresh perspective on Langkawi. The loft-influenced design of the rooms offers space to move, and large sea-facing windows allow you to take in views over the Strait of Malacca. An emphasis on activities for kids and a location on a vast stretch of beach make this one of the best Langkawi hotels for families.
You’ll scale a steep, jungly hill to reach this clutch of diverse rooms with apartment vibes that almost feel like luxury treehouses. From the hotel, it’s a five-minute walk to Pantai Tengah, one of the quieter Langkawi beaches, or you can stay on the grounds passing the time at the spa or developing new skills by taking cooking lessons. A pool and a charming cafe overlooking the greenery round out the offerings at Ambong Ambong.
Langkawi is big enough that it never feels crowded, but if you really want to get away from it all, consider checking in at the St Regis. Occupying a private cove at the southeastern tip of the island, the ambience here is private and isolated. The Middle Eastern influence visible in the architecture adds to the feeling of being far from home, and the luxurious accommodation options range from suites to villas.
Head to the southeastern corner of Langkawi for a bit more space. The Westin delivers in this respect, offering a vast compound with a private beach, a swimming pool the size of a small ocean and activities ranging from tennis to water sports. The huge variety of accommodation on offer means that you can also opt for a room with space to roam around in.
Pelangi Beach Resort and Spa is an old-school resort in the best sense of the term. Taking up an entire corner of buzzy beach town Pantai Cenang, there’s an almost village-like vibe here, with breezy, Malay-style, tile-roofed chalets interspersed with palm trees and other flora. A massive pool with slides and other activities for children make the Meritus a smart Langkawi hotel for families.
This compound of luxurious and inviting villas nestles in the shadow of dramatic karst cliffs. The low-slung verandas, warm-wood features, textured cloths and breeze-swept curtains make the accommodation homely and inviting, while the semi-private beach is a pleasant reminder that you’re on a tropical island. When you need a fresh perspective on your surroundings, board a boat for a tour of the cliffs and mangroves of the Langkawi Unesco Global Geopark, located virtually next door.
Set in and along a strip of rocky jungle on the east coast of Langkawi, the Berjaya might remind you of your childhood summer camp – if your camp happened to be based in a tropical jungle. Although the resort isn’t located on a beach, some of the Malay-style villas here are elevated over water, giving a whole new meaning to the concept of a private pool.
Follow a windy, hilly drive through almost impossibly thick jungle to arrive at what might be the most secluded resort in Langkawi. The main structure appears to melt into the hillside, spilling down to a private, cove-based, white-sand beach. Accommodation here ranges from spacious rooms in the main structure to pool-equipped beachside villas, with nature and seclusion as the common thread.
Telaga Harbour has an almost Monte Carlo-like atmosphere, so the imposing, European-influenced Danna fits right in. The 135 rooms look over the harbour, while a clutch of private villas edge the beach. With an emphasis on service and a location only a brief drive from some of the premier sights of the island, the Danna hits that sweet spot between relaxation and adventure.
Looking for more budget-friendly places to stay in Langkawi? Check out our guide to the best backpacker hostels in Langkawi, Malaysia, or if you’re looking for a plush resort, check out our guide to the best resorts to book in Langkawi, Malaysia, all bookable with Culture Trip. For more options in Malaysia, discover our guide to the best hotels to book in Petaling Jaya.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.