Southeast Asia’s king of fruits, the durian, is known to be the smelliest fruit, but it has a mildly sweet and creamy flesh. Did you know that durians can be used in sweet or savoury dishes? Here are some of the durian delicacies that you must try when in Malaysia.
Cake lovers should try the mouth-watering durian cakes. The creamy texture melts in your mouth and comes with either a sponge cake or cheesecake base. Some bakeries and cafés serve chocolate durian cake, featuring a light and creamy durian texture with rich chocolate. Have a go in eating a real 3D durian cake together with your friends. It looks like durian, and it has the actual taste of durian. Try the delicious Durian Cheesecake and Durian Tiramisu at Swich Café. Savour the Durian Imperial Cream Cake and Durian Crepe Cake at ARCH Café.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It may look like a custard puff, but it is not. The small pastry puffs have durian cream filling; therefore, it’s fluffy on the outside, creamy on the inside. Once the smooth durian cream hits your palate, well, there is nothing like it. You can have them when they are fresh out of the oven or take them on the go. Two of the best places to try these delicious durian puffs are at Taste Better (available in various outlets across Malaysia, including in Kuala Lumpur and Melaka) and Durian Durian (KLCC and Mid Valley Megamall).
Cendol, a traditional dessert served with coconut milk, gula Melaka (palm sugar), and various treats, is one of Malaysia’s favourites. For durian cendol, fresh durian is added to the cendol to make the whole dessert even richer. The creamy durian flesh and coconut milk together with the sweet palm sugar complement each other well; it is a heavenly dessert that you must try. Devour the delicious delicacy at Rojak and Cendol in Shah Alam and Durian King TTDI.
Durian Ice Cream
Durian is suitable for making ice cream because of its creamy texture and mild sweetness. A scoop of local durian ice cream is a great treat to cool you down in Malaysia’s tropical weather. Add scoops of it into waffle cones or onto waffles for a complete package of goodness. Savour the delicious D24 durian ice cream at Inside Scoop (available in various outlets, including Kuala Lumpur, Klang Valley, and Melaka).
Durian Shaved Ice
Durian shaved ice is a favourite dessert amongst millennials; it’s perfect to share with friends and family. The mountain of creamy shaved ice is accompanied by ice cream, panna cotta, and syrup. Some shaved ice desserts also feature nuts and other sweet treats. This dessert has a smooth and intense durian flavour that you can’t help but eat until the bowl is empty. Have your durian shaved ice treats at Kakigori (D24 Durian Chocolate Kakigori), Bingsu Café (Durian Mango Bingsu), and Tong Pak Fu Hong Kong Desserts (Durian Snow Ice).
Fried Durian Fritters
Fried durian fritters are the must-try snack. When you take a bite through the crispy pastry, you will find a smooth durian cream that tickles your taste buds; you won’t be able to stop at one warm and creamy fritter. Enjoy these aromatic and mouth-watering snacks at Wah Cai Restaurant in Johor, where the owners freshly prepare a variety of yummy treats. Each piece costs RM3 (70 cents). It’s best to arrive early as there is no doubt going to be a long queue, and they sell out fast.
Tempoyak (fermented durian in Malay) is a spicy condiment often added to curries and stir-fry dishes. There are various types of tempoyak, due to its fermentation period. It is mildly spicy and sour and goes well with lettuce, rice, and petai (stinky beans in Malay). Adventurous food lovers can enjoy creamy tempoyak by having the Ikan Patin (fish curry with durian puree) at Go Bang Maju Patin Tempoyak (Sri Rampai, Kuala Lumpur and Temerloh, Pahang). At Lepau Restaurant in Kuching, try the fried Ikan Tempoyak.
Lempok Durian is similar to dodol, a sweet palm sugar-based candy with durian as its main flavour. Compared to other durian delights, Lempok Durian has a stronger natural durian taste, in turn, filling all of your durian cravings. You can purchase these treats at the local department stores as souvenirs. You can also buy them at duty-free stores in airports before you depart.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.