From its skyscrapers, glitzy franchises and hidden-gem shops to its bustling community and restless lifestyle, there’s no doubt Kuala Lumpur is full of energy and vibrancy. However, the fast-paced way of life can sometimes get a little overwhelming, and a change of scenery from the dusty urban city is often a welcome respite. Here are six of the best weekend getaways from the capital.
Penang (Pulau Pinang)
Dubbed the Pearl of the Orient, Penang is a top destination island in the north of Malaysia. Famous for its sandy beaches, historical sites and various temples, this weekend escape could easily be an entire staycation in its own right. The food here is also a major lure to visitors; you’ll notice how the flavours of a familiar dish in Kuala Lumpur change the further you move up north. It takes only a 45-minute flight from the capital’s international airport, but four-plus hours by car or bus, should you wish to enjoy a leisurely road trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Further down southwest from Kuala Lumpur is the historic state of Malacca. A great spot for history buffs, you can easily spend a weekend visiting the numerous historical monuments, such as the A Famosa fort, Dutch Square and St Paul’s Church, to name a few. Spend a few hours browsing through the antique stores and marvelling at the temples, before the night’s highlight: the popular Jonker Street market, where you can indulge in tasty street food and haggle with trinket vendors. Malacca is a two-hour drive from the capital, but the Dutch-Nyonya cuisine waiting at the end of the road is sure to make it worthwhile.
Fancy being at one with nature, but the idea of camping on a hard floor fills you with dread? Glamping could be the answer. Away from the gritty urban landscape, Sekeping Serendah is a charming resort set among five acres of tropical rainforest, an hour from Kuala Lumpur. Jungle-trekking and waterfall hiking are among the many activities on offer for the adventurous and restless, or you may prefer to just chill out in the open-style bedrooms and simply appreciate the peace and quiet of this unplugged spot.
If you’re after some respite from the relentless Malaysian humidity, then make a beeline for the cooler Bentong. An hour’s drive from the capital, this hill range is peppered with parks and plantations surrounding quaint little old towns. It is also the area housing Genting Highlands, a lofty resort packed with hotels, restaurants, shopping mall and a casino. Because of its noticeably lower-degree weather, Bentong is popular for outdoor activities such as hiking to Chamang Waterfalls and playing archery or quad-biking at Bilut Extreme Park. Should you rather kick back and relax, stick around in the town for delightful handmade foods.
The flatlands of Malaysia make for great places to witness the growth and care of the number-one Asian staple food: rice. Such is the adventure to Sekinchan, Selangor, a sleepy coastal town situated one hour away from the city. This abundantly fertile land sees sprawling paddy plantations give way to a sandy coastline, making it a unique area to visit. Enjoy both the lush greenery of the paddy fields and the salty sea breeze at Redang Beach, as you kick back and munch on rice and prawn crackers.
Just 45 minutes away from the capital lies a near-secret pocket of hot springs, rivers and waterfalls. An eco-paradise rich in tropical beauty, the little village of Hulu Langat prides itself on its orchards and scenic picnic spots. Hiking and jungle-trekking to the waterfalls are a must, but be prepared for at least an hour on foot. Feast on the fruits of local harvests, such as bananas and petai, from the local farmers along the way for an immersive rainforest adventure.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.