Startup businesses have been the boom of the newer generation entrepreneurs as of late. Focusing on a wholesome concept—to make life easier for fellow locals—many new businesses have been on the rise, constructed out of necessity and passion projects. From catering to corporate needs to personal entertainment, here are five new entrepreneur businesses to look out for.
Self-described as a business customizing spectacles with a mamak twist, Pott Glasses functions specifically to tailor glasses to the customer’s most detailed needs. The brainchild of two life-long friends, Pott is the result of combining each other’s expertise—engineering and opticianry. Starting off with limited funding and a big idea, the duo ventured from small event stalls to testing the waters of online marketing. Offering free trials via delivery to customers to find the perfect frame for their face, Pott has gained success within its two years of kick-starting and now proudly owns two flagship stores in the Klang Valley region alongside their online options. The door-to-door try on service still is a winning point and the duo have also introduced a donation system that supplies glasses to the underprivileged with every sale.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Proclaiming to be the first floral arranging service to not be limited to a specific delivery day, Happy Bunch offers a week-long service to bring smiles via flowers, a notion too good to die out, according to its founders. Run by two mothers on a mission to keep the tradition of flower-gifting alive, this flower delivery subscription service is a beautiful way to show your loved ones the old romantic in you. Priding in achieving over 30,000 bunches curated and delivered in over a year, Happy Bunch provides pre-arranged flower bouquets available for order for any special personal occasion or daily affair. Their trademark gurney sack wrapping brings a fresh and rustic quality to the flower combinations, adding something extra beyond the normal plastic ribbon wrapping all larger scale florists offer as an environmentally-friendly bonus. The flower arrangements differ each day, leaving a batch of new combinations and selections fresh for picking.
A startup dedicated to helping other startups and corporate businesses, Saltycustoms is the business to contact for custom-designed production of company T-shirts. The first of its kind in Asia, Saltycustoms goes above and beyond regular T-shirt businesses by also offering apparel consultants to help patrons form the best design they have in mind should the sample design template aids not suffice. Offering a range of ten to 10,000 pieces per order, thrisk-takingng founders are reaping great rewards with the large amount of branded partnerships they receive.
Its concept may be common, but its service definitely stands out from other makeup and beauty e-commerce websites. Founded by two males who knew next to nothing about beauty products, they managed to wrap their heads around the problem that many of their female friends had—buying cheaper alternatives of makeups that were of questionable quality—and come up with an immediate hands-on solution: to take up providing affordable makeup themselves. Now they are a sizable company with clientele all over Kuala Lumpur and the Klang Valley, operating with brand deals from premiere beauty labels, and offering products with great deal pricing. Hermo showcases mostly Asian suppliers, bringing attention to closer-to-home manufacturers. Watch out for their latest venture into men’s range of beauty products!
This book subscription service deserves more attention than it is getting. Run by the very young members of Malaysian book club MyBibliomaniacs, this quarterly available book-themed parcel has yet to hit big time in the market, but its slow growing number of devoted subscribers keep it running. Offering very affordable and fun packages of a book with locally-sourced talents contributing handmade goodies, this startup remains a passion project of the youthful entrepreneurs who are still finishing their studies. Scoring a deal with book distributors, Bookish Bundle ensures that with each parcel comes the best sellers that highlight the corresponding theme.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.