It’s 2018, and Instagrammers are leading the charge on culture trends and popular aesthetics. But the Internet is a tricky place. It blurs geographical distinctions so easily and often that it’s difficult to place where Instagrammers are from, based on their bios. Here are 11 popular Instagrammers we know are from sunny Malaysia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
DuDu Doodles The World plays with his food. He paints with coffee and pairs photos of food with doodles of Toy Story or Disney characters, and anything that strikes his fancy. His Instagram feed features an impressive wall of creativity, designed to delight, inspire, and make his followers hungry all at once. In addition to being a self-proclaimed coffee enthusiast and food hunter, DuDu Doodles The World also travels the globe, sharing the spotlight his art gains with delicious looking food from different countries.
There is a sense of quiet introspection in Nana Safiana’s Instagram travel photos. A documentary photographer by profession, Nana has a knack for capturing the awe-inspiring—whether it’s mountain landscapes or portraits. Her photos have a slight desaturated wash that invokes a sense of romance, coupled with an intelligent use of negative space. These features create an impressive, calming Instagram feed.
Samantha Lee deals with edible art. She arranges croissants into lobsters and rice balls into owls. Each piece bursts with enough whimsy and colour to brighten up any day (and to convince a fussy child to finish her meal).
On Instagram, a popular aesthetic involves arranging objects into a neat, contrived order. Redhongyi takes this idea to a whole new level, developing graphic art pieces out of different materials. Playing with materials that are both organic (flower petals) and inorganic (fabric), the world within Redhongyi’s art is one where objects fit together like puzzle pieces and create something wonderful.
Mycafefood’s Instagram wall is a visual gastronomic delight. Each piece documents an offering from a cafe in Malaysia (hence the username), geo-tagged so you can make the trip there yourself, and taken in such flattering angles and lighting that it should be classified as food porn. A veritable feast for the eyes and an inspiration for where to have lunch next.
The owner of this account, Lee Ee Vee, is not only the co-founder of The Last Polka ice cream brand, based in Malaysia, but she is a also a KL-based designer responsible for austere, geometric, and eye-catching ceramic pieces. Her feed features pieces she developed, fresh from the kiln. These include crockery in fetching millennial pink and angular flowerpots with a dash of Scandi flair.
Zarninzar’s carefully curated Instagram page is wanderlust made incarnate. Everything is picturesque and looks like someone’s idea of Shangri-La. His pictures of travel veer toward the green and shores with white-crested waves. Going through his photos is like pressing “snooze” on a Monday and going on vacation in your head.
Glimpse into a more romantic side of Malaysia through Syukri Shairi’s wonderful pen-nib drawings. His visual journals are impossibly crisp, intricate sketches that any hipster cafe would be proud to frame. Even chaos looks beautiful through his lines. But his visual journals are not confined to sketches of Malaysia, and his Instagram feed is not limited to his art. Instead, his wall presents a thoughtful traveler, exploring how the world works by sketching it.
Chryseis Tan is a celebrity in her own right. Heir to the Berjaya dynasty and a successful entrepreneur, she lives the high life and brings her 292,000 followers with her. From a view of her private jet to dream-like photos of her fairy-tale wedding, Chryseis’ Instagram account is a guaranteed vicarious viewing pleasure.
Smashpop (a.k.a. Jason) gains plenty of followers and likes from his gorgeous shots of gadgets and his whimsical set-ups of Toy Story figures next to his coffee. Interspersed with those images are wonderful shots of Kuala Lumpur. With a talent for capturing the beauty in the everyday, he makes the ordinary poignant, letting his followers see a different side to Malaysia.
And last but not least, check out the official Instagram page of the Malaysian tourism board. Displaying Malaysia’s myriad of wonders in their full majesty, the page is enough to prompt a quick check of flight prices. Be tempted by blue seas, cendol with juicy grass jellies in a packet, or the cute face of a baby monkey. This Instagram page boasts of how life in Malaysia is lived in technicolour.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.