Beer Lao is ubiquitous in Laos. You can’t go more than a block without seeing a yellow Beer Lao sign advertising a restaurant, Beer Lao umbrella shading the sidewalk or yellow crates stacked sky high with 640ml big bottles of Laos’ number one lager.
The Lao Brewing Company
The Lao Brewing Company has been making beverages in the Lao PDR since 1973. Beer Lao is exported to 12 countries and can be found in Australia, Cambodia, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, France, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, the UK and the US. The crisp, light lager is the drink of choice in the heat of Laos. Typically ordered in rounds of three big bottles and poured over ice into small glasses, Beer Lao can be found in corner shops, night market stalls, restaurants and everywhere in between.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Range of products
The LBC produces large bottles of Beer Lao, and 330ml bottles of Beer Lao, Beer Lao Gold, and Beer Lao Dark. Other beer brands distributed include 1664, Somersby Cider, Carlsberg (which owns half the shares of the company), Tuborg, and Lang Xang pilsner. Since 1997, LBC has bottled and distributed Tigerhead drinking water in plastic bottles, while Tigerhead soda water in glass bottles has been given out since 2010. Both refreshments can be found in hotels and restaurants throughout Laos. If you attend a Lao wedding or event, don’t be surprised to see pink, green or orange Mirinda soda on the table. Originally from Spain, the soft drink is now owned by PepsiCo and distributed by LBC in Laos.
The Lao government owns the means of production for Beer Lao, and has a partnership with Pepsi to produce cola near their Vientiane brewery. That’s why you’ll see much more Pepsi than Coke, which is imported. If a menu offers both, the Coke will often be more expensive. The LBC also has a production facility in Champasak Province. Beer Lao Lager and Beer Lao Dark have each won gold medals at beer competitions in Belgium and Japan respectively. LBC is also dedicated to reducing its carbon footprint and has taken steps to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and save electricity.
The Lao Brewing Company’s tiger logo encircled in red and yellow crates is synonymous with a party in Laos. Beer Lao has sponsored events such as Pi Mai Water Festival in Vientiane, Savannakhet and Laos. They host an international new year’s party in Vientiane and have put their name against three seasons of the Band Challenge reality show. Throughout the country, guesthouses, restaurants, and shops have Beer Lao sponsored signs, napkin holders, coasters, umbrellas and tablecloths. It’s not uncommon to see yellow Beer Lao crates filled with cement and repurposed as umbrella stands.
While it will come as no surprise that the Lao Brewing Company claims a 98% share in the Lao beer market, there are a few other options including Heineken and Beer Savan available for customers. In 2017, Lao Asia Pacific Breweries Ltd (which opened in 2008) changed its name to Heineken Lao Brewery Co., Ltd. In addition to Heineken, they produce Namkhong and Tiger Beer. Savan Brewing Company is a family-run brewery located in Savannakhet Province and has a distribution center on 9W northeast of town that produces an American-style lager.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.